Banging my head! Multiple turbo failures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bryan_Arlaud

Bryan_Arlaud

Reaction score
Good morning all!

I strongly believe that the driver side compressor wheel nicks is from shrapnel due to the failure of the passenger side turbo. We've found shrapnel all the way up to the air filter.

Yes the down pipe to the cat on the passenger side had shrapnel also however none present on diver side. All of the exhaust system has been removed and cleaned / cleared of debris.

we spent the entire weekend cleaning out aluminum shrapnel. lots of new parts arrived over the weekend and I'm off to the turbo shop later today for there diagnosis, however i think its narrowed down to oil starvation. Could be a pump or a bypass issue for oil.

I'll have more answers later this week.

Thank you for everyones input and thoughts so far. I'll keep everyone updated.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good morning all!

I strongly believe that the driver side compressor wheel nicks is from shrapnel due to the failure of the passenger side turbo. We've found shrapnel all the way up to the air filter.

Yes the down pipe to the cat on the passenger side had shrapnel also however none present on diver side. All of the exhaust system has been removed and cleaned / cleared of debris.

we spent the entire weekend cleaning out aluminum shrapnel. lots of new parts arrived over the weekend and I'm off to the turbo shop later today for there diagnosis, however i think its narrowed down to oil starvation. Could be a pump or a bypass issue for oil.

I'll have more answers later this week.

Thank you for everyones input and thoughts so far. I'll keep everyone updated.
What is the flow path from passenger side turbine/exhaust to the air box?

OP
OP
Bryan_Arlaud

Bryan_Arlaud

Reaction score
@New recaros Not sure i flow the question. Air path of turbine doesn't mix with the air intake box. I'm confused lol Im also blonde and male according to my wife soooo there that.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A turbo has two sides
A compressor on the intake to boost the inlet air pressure/volume
A turbine/exhaust side that provides the power to turn the booster compressor via a shaft.
The compressor is doing all the work and the turbine provides the power to do that work.

OP
OP
Bryan_Arlaud

Bryan_Arlaud

Reaction score
Now I get it.

The passenger side compressor wheel is shredded also. My thought was that when the turbo let go and the pressure dropped it sucked shrapnel over to the driver side as i left my foot off the pedal and that wheel would have still been spinning. So it would have nicked it. The intake pipes had shavings in them. Thats how I came up with that theory.

i may have miss stated what i was thinking.

Last edited:

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of turbo failures, and I have seen alot of FOD (foreign object damage). Pretty sure you have an oil feed problem. Just my opinion.

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the turbocharger bearings fail, the center housing can no longer stabilize the compressor or turbine. The deflection from the bearing allows the vanes to move off center enough to contact the housing, damaging them. I suspect that is what happened here.
Ah, I thought OP said that side mostly had damage to the compressor only, but what you said makes perfect sense. Thanks for the input as always!

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bad bearings do not explain melted turbine rotor blades tips. You have something causing very hot, possibility flame impingement on the turbine blades. You have fuel, oil or something causing extreme exhaust temperature. But, extreme heat can cause bearing failures which in-turn will allow rotor movement on both axis. That movement can cause the compressor wheel to rub the case and twist off the shaft. (See rub marks back side of compressor wheel.
This second set of turbo’s only lasted a few minutes telling me what ever took out the first set of turbos is still a problem.

Last edited: