Banging my head! Multiple turbo failures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I saw that, but what’s the difference in the two intake snorkel? Plus, what it shows is a collapsed intake or even slightly will cause turbo damage.

OP
OP
Bryan_Arlaud

Bryan_Arlaud

Reaction score
That was a lot to read definitely good information. The snorkel definitely looks like the GEN 2. i would think that both turbos would show the same or similar damage. I could see the driver side being less damage as the air path is so much shorter but heh hot side is so much longer so it may equal out.

I've been reading about oil paths through the engine and low oil pressure issues. theres a lot to be said there but it looks like there are some common failure issues and at least have a direction to start looking. With the amount of burn marks in the passenger side turbo shaft and thrust bearing vs the driver side I'm convinced its oil issues. I can see good use for the Cobb products and already wanted them because the look better but wanted the truck fixed first. I'll be running the truck with the S&B filter box open just incase.

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crazy failures. I'm no expert, but I wouldn't ignore the possibility of two causes. It feels like the shaft issue is low oil. Comparing those two washers, it looks like the "good" driver side has begun to overheat, and the failed side has been heated to failure.

I think the nicked compressor is a separate issue, unless you found shavings/shrapnel when you took it apart, and I feel like you would've mentioned that. So why would the driver compressor be nicked? If you had unmetered air get in with some contaminants, that would make sense. I would imagine there would be tight tolerances but absolutely no play on the compressor to ding it into the housing unless it was already damaged. Was there damage to the housing? It would look different if the compressor rubbed vs something being trapped between it and the housing.

I am very curious to see what you figure out.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I find that doubtful but, I have seen where well to do folks put high pressure fittings in places not required which have a smaller ID greatly restricting flow. A rule of thumb, double you size, quadruple your volume. When you get down to small fittings, it does not take much. If you changed fittings or hoses from the factory, look there for fittings or hoses with smaller ID.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What about all the melted metal fron the turbine blades that flew down the exhaust? Maybe the Cats need cleaned or replaced. I doubt it blew through. FT1 might have a thought there.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Crazy failures. I'm no expert, but I wouldn't ignore the possibility of two causes. It feels like the shaft issue is low oil. Comparing those two washers, it looks like the "good" driver side has begun to overheat, and the failed side has been heated to failure.

I think the nicked compressor is a separate issue, unless you found shavings/shrapnel when you took it apart, and I feel like you would've mentioned that. So why would the driver compressor be nicked? If you had unmetered air get in with some contaminants, that would make sense. I would imagine there would be tight tolerances but absolutely no play on the compressor to ding it into the housing unless it was already damaged. Was there damage to the housing? It would look different if the compressor rubbed vs something being trapped between it and the housing.

I am very curious to see what you figure out.
When the turbocharger bearings fail, the center housing can no longer stabilize the compressor or turbine. The deflection from the bearing allows the vanes to move off center enough to contact the housing, damaging them. I suspect that is what happened here.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When the turbocharger bearings fail, the center housing can no longer stabilize the compressor or turbine. The deflection from the bearing allows the vanes to move off center enough to contact the housing, damaging them. I suspect that is what happened here.
Do you think all the melted turbine blades stuck to the Cat plugging it

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you think all the melted turbine blades stuck to the Cat plugging it
I didn’t see where the turbine blades were missing; maybe I overlooked it. If they’re just bent, no issue. If they’re missing, then yes they’re definitely sitting on/in the catalyst.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think he chocked the intake or had fuel leaving a cylinder. Like have a turbo on a funny car exhaust. Lol the blades got really hot, it’s the 2nd in a row, only last minutes