Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Bang for your buck brake improvements?

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by CHMP, Apr 2, 2020.

1. CHMP

CHMP Full Access Member

Like everyone here I'm noticing the stock brakes are underpowered. Outside of a full on big brake kit had anyone had success with aftermarket pads, rotors and/or braided lines?

2. MOT26

MOT26 Member

salts001 and Booth9999 like this.
  3. Badgertits

Badgertits FRF Addict

I concur on the Z36 kit - I went w/ that on my previous GMC truck - I think the Raptor's stock brakes are actually pretty good, def better than the setup on my '15 GMC - but since I had good experience w/ this kit previously I'll probably go w/ it on the Rap too

I personally wouldn't bother w/ the SS lines - First you won't lose any brake feel or have the factory rubber lines degrade ANY time soon - we're talking a decade on those....plus this is a 5500 lb truck, not a sportbike or lightweight sports car you probably won't even feel any diff. Also - many times the connection w/ the SS lines is not as secure as factory (are they banjo strap type?) - lastly, multiple instances in corvette world of the SS lines causing static interference w/ the EBCM/Wheel speed sensors/Traction/Stability control etc. Not sure if that could be an issue w/ the Ford trucks, but since they legit don't do sh*t for ya performance-wise I'd leave the factory lines in place

I also wouldn't recommend running 95% of the drilled discs out there - even from reputable companies - slotted OK, blanks are fine.

Stroked out likes this.
  4. AFPhysO

AFPhysO Member

I have R1 Concepts pads and rotors. They definitely bite hard. I’ve put them on a Jeep SRT8, the Raptor, and a Yukon XL; each stopped noticeably better with them. They have 30% right now I think which means you can gets their top of the line pads and rotors for a couple hundred bucks shipped.

5. CHMP

CHMP Full Access Member

Perfect. How long have you been running that kit? I've heard mixed things about drilled rotors from my buddies in the automotive world.

6. MOT26

MOT26 Member

I've have it for two years now.

CHMP likes this.
  7. Ski4Ever

Ski4Ever Full Access Member

A few questions related to your post:
    1. The PowerStop link doesn't load a specific item for me (seems to default to another page of their's). Is this the same item? https://v2.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z36-brake-kit/
    2. When I bring up the Amazon link, it says it isn't compatible with my Raptor. Is that because mine is a 2019, and maybe yours isn't?
    3. When I look at Z36 part numbers on the PowerStop website that are compatible with my 2019, I see part number K8026-36. The Amazon link is part number K6268-36. Any idea why there's a difference?
    4. Any chance you have a link for where I can purchase the SS lines?
    Thanks!

[EDIT]Now that I search for 2018 part numbers, I see that K6268 is what comes up, so it must be a difference in model years. Still curious about #4, though! Thanks![/EDIT]

8. Badgertits

Badgertits FRF Addict

you can buy SS lines from pretty much anywhere - goodridge, stoptech, Russel, RPI, etc. are all viable options. Autoanything or summit will carry.

But like I said- personally I wouldn’t put em on nor do I expect you’ll notice a damn thing, may have leak/fitment issue- & also like I said- well known to cause Static interference w/ corvette systems.

I could BARELY tell the difference on a 360lb sport bike in a track setting FWIW.....

9. Darthyota

Darthyota Full Access Member

What are you willing to sacrifice in the name of better braking from just a pad upgrade? Can you handle dust, squeeling, rotor/pad life? How aggressive do you want the initial bite to be?

10. Fender

Fender Full Access Member

I most definitely noticed a difference with Ss lines no question, have them on every thing I own that has brake discs, a lot of literature on them as well.
    Rubber line WILL balloon under pressure, question is when