GEN 1 Ballistic fabrication diff cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on!!! I found if you put one in your cart and leave it there they’ll send you a 15% off code. Let me know how you like it and how much fluid it takes. I like the look of this one over the ruff stuff or forged off-road ones. I don’t like how those ones have the bolt holes cutting into the welds. Doesn’t affect the strength, just looks bad imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i just installed the Ballistic Fabrication Diff Cover and wanted to share a few tips and tricks i found. The install was pretty simple and straightforward so i'm not going into that step by step.

1. The cover still had some welding spatter so you'll want to hit it with a file or wire brush and knock off the spatter, especially on the inside.

2. The kit did not come with washers and the bolt heads are not much bigger than the holes so i made my own washers out of aluminum. The cover is spot faced around the holes so i made some custom washers that fit perfectly in the spot face. You may be able to find some washers off the shelf that fit.
92bc5d9d3fcf3c8b28b838af820cd255.jpg

3. The fill plug takes a 12mm or 1/2 allen key to tighten. i didn't have one but i found that a 5/16 hex bolt from Home Depot fits perfectly. I put 2 nuts on the end so i could get a wrench on there and tighten it up. worked like a charm and cost less than a buck.
bb622148ff04530f7055d3e76183f140.jpg
35a7b2123b3417960ae01bcdf26f6d99.jpg

4. The cover weighs a ton so installing it with one person is a bit of a challenge especially trying not to smear RTV all over the place when you try to mate it up. I made a few studs out of some threaded rod and put them in opposite holes so i could slide the cover on to the studs and then let it hang there while i put some bolts in.
b971f210d213af33fc1400e134a4ea2b.jpg

5. The cover that i had on before was an AFE Aluminum one and trying to get that off was proving difficult since i did a really good job sealing it the first time. Also, getting the stock cover off is a nightmare if you haven't tried before. I found a genius idea on youtube and this guy put a bottle jack under the cover and slowly jacked it up just under the cover until the seal was broken. worked like a charm.

6. The new cover took exactly 3 quarts of fluid. Owners manual says 2.6L which is about 2.7 quarts so this cover adds a small amount of extra fluid.

9f69c81d2348bd202d1185a4cf003eab.jpg

Anthony k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i just installed the Ballistic Fabrication Diff Cover and wanted to share a few tips and tricks i found. The install was pretty simple and straightforward so i'm not going into that step by step.

1. The cover still had some welding spatter so you'll want to hit it with a file or wire brush and knock off the spatter, especially on the inside.

2. The kit did not come with washers and the bolt heads are not much bigger than the holes so i made my own washers out of aluminum. The cover is spot faced around the holes so i made some custom washers that fit perfectly in the spot face. You may be able to find some washers off the shelf that fit.
92bc5d9d3fcf3c8b28b838af820cd255.jpg

3. The fill plug takes a 12mm or 1/2 allen key to tighten. i didn't have one but i found that a 5/16 hex bolt from Home Depot fits perfectly. I put 2 nuts on the end so i could get a wrench on there and tighten it up. worked like a charm and cost less than a buck.
bb622148ff04530f7055d3e76183f140.jpg
35a7b2123b3417960ae01bcdf26f6d99.jpg

4. The cover weighs a ton so installing it with one person is a bit of a challenge especially trying not to smear RTV all over the place when you try to mate it up. I made a few studs out of some threaded rod and put them in opposite holes so i could slide the cover on to the studs and then let it hang there while i put some bolts in.
b971f210d213af33fc1400e134a4ea2b.jpg

5. The cover that i had on before was an AFE Aluminum one and trying to get that off was proving difficult since i did a really good job sealing it the first time. Also, getting the stock cover off is a nightmare if you haven't tried before. I found a genius idea on youtube and this guy put a bottle jack under the cover and slowly jacked it up just under the cover until the seal was broken. worked like a charm.

6. The new cover took exactly 3 quarts of fluid. Owners manual says 2.6L which is about 2.7 quarts so this cover adds a small amount of extra fluid.

9f69c81d2348bd202d1185a4cf003eab.jpg

I wanted to buy one of their covers, but really didn’t want that skull thing on it. I emailed asking if I could get one without, they never replied, so I got a Ruff Stuff cover. Was cheaper too. And thicker steel plates.
Use Lube Locker gaskets.. no need for that silicone mess and they are reusable