Balancing Amber vs. White

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nermol

Reaction score
I have a problem, I want to have access to both awesome bright amber and awesome bright white lighting on my truck. I am also trying to keep my lighting stealth at this point.

Here is my current setup

BD SAE White
BD SAE Amber
BD S1 White Spot
BD 30" S8 White Combo behind the grill

I am pretty set at keeping the mediocre but street legal SAE lights

Options
1. Put a Amber Wide Cornering Lens on the S1 (2375 Lumens), but not sure it meets the "awesome bright" requirement.

2. Swapping out 1 or 2 white lens for amber on the S8. This seems like a good compromise, but I can't seem to find anyone doing this. Obliviously I loose independent control of amber vs. white light, would the white light just cancel out the amber benefits in that setup?

3. I could go with a different bumper bracket and run a S2 Pro (4200 Lumens) Amber Combo in the third position.

Thoughts?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I have all white forward facing lights. Looking at your setup, I’d keep 1x white SAE set and replace another with a squadron pro driving combo amber.

I wouldn’t touch the S8, that’s your ‘distance’ light for now, and the highest mounted illumination you have.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did the SAE fogs in amber. The S8 bar, S1 spots and Pro combos are clear/white.

Here’s a pic with all on:

CD7CD976-DDAD-486A-8E22-3D7B9C32E1D7.jpeg

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Why not swap out that S1 for a Squadron Pro in Driving/Combo

As for the S8... i don't recommend doing amber and white lenses. They'll cancel each other out. In foggy weather the amber would work well but the white would cause issues. On the contrary in clear conditions both amber and clear would work very well.

You can always add on a 10" bar? We offer a lower grill kit with either a 10" OnX6+ or an S8. We're taking pre-orders on the new KR Off-Road kit here: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/kr-off-road-lower-grill-light-bar-kit-for-2017-2020-ford-f-150-raptor/

OnX6-1__86245.1616004813.jpg

I personally run 3 sets of Squadron Pro as you can see. I'm also running Morimoto XBs so i don't really need my fogs for normal driving use, which is why I have pros.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run BD Squadron Sport, BD Squadron SAE, and an S2 Pro amber pointed low and away. The S2 pro amber might be what you're looking for; if angled correctly it provides nice ditch lighting and good close range fill for your other lights.

OP
OP
N

nermol

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for you feedback. I ordered a set of Amber wide cornering for the S1's and will see how that works for $20 is certainly worth a try.

Assuming it will not be enough output, I will likely swap out my bumper mounting bracket to fit a Squadron Pro Amber Driving Combo in there with the two SAE lights.

Cheers.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a problem, I want to have access to both awesome bright amber and awesome bright white lighting on my truck. I am also trying to keep my lighting stealth at this point.

Here is my current setup

BD SAE White
BD SAE Amber
BD S1 White Spot

Options
1. Put a Amber Wide Cornering Lens on the S1 (2375 Lumens), but not sure it meets the "awesome bright" requirement.

2. Swapping out 1 or 2 white lens for amber on the S8. This seems like a good compromise, but I can't seem to find anyone doing this. Obliviously I loose independent control of amber vs. white light, would the white light just cancel out the amber benefits in that setup?

3. I could go with a different bumper bracket and run a S2 Pro (4200 Lumens) Amber Combo in the third position.

Thoughts?
just go ALL amber. White lights are boring... haha

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here is my current setup

BD SAE White
BD SAE Amber
BD S1 White Spot

Options

Thoughts?
I initially was considering the SAE but after much research, decided to go with the S1 for a Squadron Pro in Driving/Combo as our OEM driving lights are very Inadequate and I wanted better on road driving visibility. It took me a while to position the lights so that it wasn’t bothering on coming drivers. I have recently changed the Len on one set of combo lights to amber and they are switched independently. Just thought I’d share.

085129D0-1FD4-4A31-8C93-B460ABD178F7.jpeg

1EC699D6-0A3E-426C-B37E-398919A99C31.jpeg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

Depends on how you use your lights and using only the off-road lights, well for off-road. I have a mixture of white and amber. I don’t have any SAE/DOT, so mine are only when off-roading.

The best scenario is use ambers when dusty or if SAE when foggy. White light will reflect off dust or fog. Amber cuts through it. I either run all white when its clear and flip white off and turn amber on when it gets dusty. During the day, I tend to run just the ambers as it still can be seen very well in the daylight but not as blinding as white. So have your AUX switches set so you have the ability to run one of the other. I did try amber ends on a Baja Design bar but it was a waste because I couldn’t control the colors individually so get the Dual Control one.

I have XL80’s on the hood and amber covers to add amber when needed depending on the conditions. Then I have some amber squadrons in the bumper. My bar and LP6’s are all white. When dusty, your lights will not go as far anyways regardless if amber so the XL80’s and Squadrons will provide enough light to let me still see what I need.

Is this is for pavement only, then I would just have equal amounts of ambers SAE on separate switches than SAE whites. I would not mix one light with both colors, the white drowns out the amber.