Bakflip revolver x4 or mx4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bought a new Bakflip revolver x4 ? I was set on getting a mx4 but now the revolver has me undecided. Any thoughts I called Bakflip said they will do the revolver x4 for $795 or the mx4 for $725 shipped

Last edited:

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a roll x on my 13. If you really want a durable badass looking cover that is totally waterproof go look at the diamondback se. I have it on my 18. Looks awesome and is so much better than any bak product from a quality and look perspective. Trust me i have had 2 of them. Its expensive though.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Has anyone bought a new Bakflip revolver x4 ? I was set on getting a mx4 but now the revolver has me undecided. Any thoughts

It's a catch-22; you have to choose whether your prefer convenience or durability. For me personally, I chose the MX4 for our shop truck because I like a hard folding tonneau cover. The downside to the MX4 is that when it's fully open, you lose all visibility out of your back window.

The Revolver X4 allows you to keep your visibility for a slight trade in durability because of its vinyl top finish.

I'm happy to go into more detail on either option if you'd like. Or if you'd like a quote, I'm happy to provide one as well!

pitvpr

Reaction score
I have a Revolver that was purchased new less than 2 years ago and its falling apart. The leather like cover is de-bonding from the aluminum shell. The inner felt material completely came off, and some of the hardware is also breaking loose in many places.

Also, it's difficult to roll out in the cold, the thing gets stiff and brittle.

Im going to contact BAK to see if they can help me out with some kind of credit towards a new cover.

Prior to that I had a "Flip" type system on my older F150 and it worked flawlessly for the 7 years I had the truck.

Jr24

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed the Revolver X4 about a month ago, and so far, Im pretty happy. I like that it is very low profile and that it is rigid but can still be rolled up to open the bed without covering the rear window. The Revolver will leak a little around the tailgate, especially if you spray water directly at it, but my experience is that all covers will leak a little bit.

In my previous truck, I had an aluminum "A" series Roll 'n Lock which was pretty expensive at about $1,600. The Roll 'n Lock worked ok, but leaked worse than the Revolver and had hardware breaking after about a year and a half. I think all bed covers have compromises. Its just about picking the cover which has the compromises you can live with best.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the roll-x on my 13, and diamondback on my 18. The diamond back is a beast. Not an ounce of leakage, looks aggressive, and has more storage. It is not low profile at all and is expensive. I agree with pitvpr, the psuedo leather is crap, and as the bak ages it doesnt roll right or well. Its just not very well made. Metal lasts, fake leather doesnt.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had the painted aluminum BakFlip (was not called MX4 at the time I bought it) on my Gen 1 for 8 years and it has worked flawlessly. The hot Texas sun has faded the paint on the top side to a dull black, but it still looks good.

I bought the BakFlip F1 (composite version of the MX4) for my Gen 2. It weighs slightly less, but is stronger and more durable than the painted aluminum MX4. It is supposed to hold up better to sun fade, but only time will tell.

When I bought mine in April, the F1 was about $90 more expensive than the MX4 from Realtruck.com. Total price: $815.90 shipped to my door (free shipping and no tax in Texas)

Last edited:

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought the BakFlip MX-4 a while back for my '18 SCREW, and have been very pleased. The amount of time you will likely spend with it all the way open/the back window obscured is negligible, and it's hard to beat in just about every other criteria for the money.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bought the BakFlip MX-4 a while back for my '18 SCREW, and have been very pleased. The amount of time you will likely spend with it all the way open/the back window obscured is negligible, and it's hard to beat in just about every other criteria for the money.

I agree.

I have had the painted aluminum BakFlip (was not called MX4 at the time I bought it) on my Gen 1 for 8 years and it has worked flawlessly. The hot Texas sun has faded the paint on the top side to a dull black, but it still looks good.

I bought the BakFlip F1 (composite version of the MX4) for my Gen 2. It weighs slightly less, but is stronger and more durable than the painted aluminum MX4. It is supposed to hold up better to sun fade, but only time will tell.

When I bought mine in April, the F1 was about $90 more expensive than the MX4 from Realtruck.com. Total price: $815.90 shipped to my door (free shipping and no tax in Texas)

I wish I had known this 6 months ago. Does the F1 allow you to shut the tailgate with it down, tho? That's a critical feature IMO

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can
It is gloss black not matte though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk