Baja Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charles Floyd

Reaction score
I’m curious if I’m wrong or my truck isn’t working correctly. I was under the impression in Baja mode it keeps the turbo spooled up. I was drag racing today and in Baja mode I still had to wait for the turbo to kick in before the truck really shined, unfortunately that caused me to have to chase down the other trucks.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
It keeps the turbos spooled up when you are WOT and let off for a second then back on; In a drag race you still need to power brake it to get the rpms up to load up the torque converter and spool the turbos.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m curious if I’m wrong or my truck isn’t working correctly. I was under the impression in Baja mode it keeps the turbo spooled up. I was drag racing today and in Baja mode I still had to wait for the turbo to kick in before the truck really shined, unfortunately that caused me to have to chase down the other trucks.

Drag racing? Why?????????

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baja mode is weird because it doesn't use the turbos unless you really floor it. I noticed similar driving offroad in dirt that it kept the RPMs high, but little turbo power. Of course it was on a small twistier course with speeds 20-55 mph, maybe if you are flooring it wide open in the desert it's different.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not?????? I started another thread at the same time as this one. Went to a state park with sand dunes, they had a sand drag strip.

I have never heard of sand dragging. Well I've learned my new thing for the day!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Baja mode is weird because it doesn't use the turbos unless you really floor it. I noticed similar driving offroad in dirt that it kept the RPMs high, but little turbo power. Of course it was on a small twistier course with speeds 20-55 mph, maybe if you are flooring it wide open in the desert it's different.

Boost is directly correlated with engine load, not RPM (except for the initial minimum RPM required for boost). If you are at high RPM with low throttle position, you're not building enough exhaust velocity/pressure to spool the turbos, and your pumping air against a restriction, which is the throttle plate. Although boost is controlled via the wastegates and bypass valve, throttle angle is a major factor as well.

As you mention, if you were at WOT, you'd see full boost at high RPM.