Baja Equipment Load Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
pelican 1500 series and 1600 series seem to hold up pretty well. The newer pelican "air" and "vault" series cases deform when you ratchet strap them down. They still keep the dust out, but you can tell theyll eventually collapse.

I'm testing out the yeti "go box" things now. so far they look promising. a lot of people talk shit about yeti, but outside of a pelican cooler, its the only other brand that has lasted more than one baja trip for me.

Orca coolers held ice longer than approximately a dozen coolers tested, it even beat the Yeti. It came in as number one for retaining ice and is built very well.

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pelican 1500 series and 1600 series seem to hold up pretty well. The newer pelican "air" and "vault" series cases deform when you ratchet strap them down. They still keep the dust out, but you can tell theyll eventually collapse.

I'm testing out the yeti "go box" things now. so far they look promising. a lot of people talk shit about yeti, but outside of a pelican cooler, its the only other brand that has lasted more than one baja trip for me.
Thanks

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Orca coolers held ice longer than approximately a dozen coolers tested, it even beat the Yeti. It came in as number one for retaining ice and is built very well.
Were talking about using them for tools, not cold beers... but Im always looking for a good beer cooler...lol

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
if the shell collapses under a ratchet strap, it aint gonna hold ice so well.

The yeti 45 that im using may not keep ice the longest, but it holds up better than anything else ive tried when clipping through the desert doing 60-80 mph for a week straight, 10+ hours a day.

I can refill the cooler with ice at the motel.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
feyN43Y.jpg
pfG7Ijo.jpg

you can kinda see a few different loadouts in these pics.

Usually, on a long run, I'll have 3 pelican cases strapped down in the bed. One is all hand tools. One is all 20V tools and their accessories, and the third is all spares and parts.

I will also bring a spare epas rack, a spare driveshaft, a spare axle shaft for the front, and have a bin in the cab, lashed down, that contains small amounts of all the weirdo fluids that I might need.

Lastly, on the longer runs, especially when they take us into Baja Sur, I'll carry 2, 5 gal dump cans.

I found out the hard way that unless you are in Cabo, Mexicali, TJ, or Ensenada, you aren't gonna find things like no-shear RGO. ( which I happen to need now.) you can also see that I have fluid holders in the bed for gear oil, coolant, trans oil, and engine oil.

I didnt need a tailgate, and i prefer to be able to see out of my rear window, as I usually have the side mirrors folded in off-road, which is why we cut the floor out, sunk the spares and did some tube work. It also helps to keep me from lawn darting.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
if the shell collapses under a ratchet strap, it aint gonna hold ice so well.

The yeti 45 that im using may not keep ice the longest, but it holds up better than anything else ive tried when clipping through the desert doing 60-80 mph for a week straight, 10+ hours a day.

I can refill the cooler with ice at the motel.
Checkout the military surplus cases that have fiberglass shells. No way those will collapse under a ratchet strap. We used to door bundle and heavy drop from aircraft. They are durable.667713i_ts.jpg

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Checkout the military surplus cases that have fiberglass shells. No way those will collapse under a ratchet strap. We used to door bundle and heavy drop from aircraft. They are durable.667713i_ts.jpg

if they came in a different color, I would do it. I had an interesting experience when I opted to use 40mm and the .50BMG tall ammo boxes.

what was that experience? Being searched mercilessly at every military checkpoint that I got close to.

I'd rather just use yeti boxes, even if they cost a little more. I'm hoping that they hold up.