Baja Designs XL80 A-Pillar Kit Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
relak

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My XL80s in spot throw about 1/2 mile. More distance than I can acutely make out details. I have a long straight before a “T” intersection heading home. They’ll light up the trees at that “T”. Yeah, the lasers throw longer but the light isn’t as usable because the beam is so narrow. With more lasers, yes, but it’s a work in progress. Honestly, if I wasn’t street focused first, I’d have done XL80s in spot on the pillars and either LP6/4 on the bumper and been done for a while. I have the combo LP4’s in white and a pair of squadron pro amber down low that also do a credible job but the LP4’s are well suited to throwing a $hit ton of light out there, with good spread.

But the XL80s... yeah. Worth it.
Thanks, you confirmed my suspicions and I’ll probably switch out lenses at some point to spots.

I think my last two light setups I’m going to purchase are going to be the XL linkable lights for the bumper, to complete the front and some SL reverse lights go get some added shine in the back. After that I’m done with lighting and will move on to something less expensive, stereo upgrades. /s

Bluu

Reaction score
Ordered my kit 3.5 months ago, and the tracking number shows they will finally arrive today! They look good on your truck and should put out a ton of light!

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the same set up. The brackets from John / SPV are great and they leave a nice even gap alongside the fender. And the SPV wire harness is great too.

The driving combo lens with an amber cover works well for my needs. The clear setup off road is almost too bright for me. And with any particles in the air like dust, fog, rain, snow or whatever the clear light illuminates the particles and cuts down on how far out I can actually see. The amber lens cover acts like a filter for any particles in the air. It does cut down on the overall brightness, but it feels like more usable light. If you have the opportunity, try running a clear lens on one side and an amber on the other side, and in anything but perfect conditions you'll probably prefer the amber light.

Also I'd suggest putting covers on regardless of light color preference as it's much easier to clean the cover than the lens. Dirt, mud, & bugs, just wipe right off the covers with just about any cleaner you use, but the lens can take a fair amount of elbow grease to get that same stuff off. And the covers are called 'Rock Guards' for a reason.

EDIT - @relak I forgot to say - Great looking truck!

Attachments

• IMG_8206.jpg
    IMG_8206.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
YES!!! I will echo the dusty conditions concern. If I’m in behind someone, I generally don’t run the XL’s and stick to the lower mounted lights. You can literally create your own little white out.

I should probably get a set of amber covers to try, good point.

I do want to add some in close amber support, such that I can maintain higher speed in dusty conditions.

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm running the same set up. The brackets from John / SPV are great and they leave a nice even gap alongside the fender. And the SPV wire harness is great too.

The driving combo lens with an amber cover works well for my needs. The clear setup off road is almost too bright for me. And with any particles in the air like dust, fog, rain, snow or whatever the clear light illuminates the particles and cuts down on how far out I can actually see. The amber lens cover acts like a filter for any particles in the air. It does cut down on the overall brightness, but it feels like more usable light. If you have the opportunity, try running a clear lens on one side and an amber on the other side, and in anything but perfect conditions you'll probably prefer the amber light.

Also I'd suggest putting covers on regardless of light color preference as it's much easier to clean the cover than the lens. Dirt, mud, & bugs, just wipe right off the covers with just about any cleaner you use, but the lens can take a fair amount of elbow grease to get that same stuff off. And the covers are called 'Rock Guards' for a reason.

EDIT - @relak I forgot to say - Great looking truck!
Thank you for the great feedback and for sharing your experience with the covers. Having that kind of information is always helpful for us to pass on to customers in the future when they ask similar questions.