Baja Designs Sportsmen review?

BD Sportsmen Kit worth it?

• Yes! Lights!

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Nah, truck comes with headlights.

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MtnPat

Reaction score
I've been contemplating pulling the trigger on ordering a set of Baja Designs Sportsmen Fog Pocket Kit for my Raptor. I've searched around and found some comments here and there on people's thoughts but nothing more than a sentence or two. So my question is: does anyone who's purchased this kit have thoughts? Was it worth the money? Do you actually use it? Has it held up over time? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We're a BIG TIME Baja Designs Dealer, keep these in stock at all time.

The sportsmen is a VERY VERY popular kit. You get some awesome Baja Designs lights AND you don't break the bank. The sportsmen lights are perfect for everyday use and give you some added light on those dark trails.

The Pros are obviously brighter and more popular but the sportsmen are not junk by any means... you just get slightly less light. But with the new and improved Sports lights from Baja, they have more light then they used to have.

I happen to run Squadron Pros on my Raptor, which I prefer. I like the added light. I have my S2 Pros aimed down at the ground and drive with them every night.

The sportsmen kit you are looking at, out of the box it's setup great for everyday use. You'll get more light with the Pros but you'll save some coin going with the Sportsmen Kit.

We have em in stock as I said, and ship free within the lower 48 US States. Check em out here and if you need help, let me know. We can also customize the kit with amber lenses instead of clear on any of the lights if you choose. Just shoot me a message, email ([email protected]) or call me at 866-991-4331

http://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-ford-raptor-2017-fog-pocket-kit-sportsmen/

This is a photo of the Pro kit on my truck but your sportsmen kit can look the same if we swap out the lenses for ya

Truck3 (small).jpg

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never been let down with BD lights...I run the S2 Sport w/wide lens for reverse lights and they rock...

Ok..have to ask 4x4...you must be tearing the night apart running 4 LP9 lights...those put an ass load of light out...

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah they are friggin insanely bright. What's cool is the "low beam" mode, which we'll have hooked up to our high beam headlights soon via the LVJ Motorsports relay panel. The LP9 are almost like big ass XL80s to be honest... the pattern is just awesome (we did 4x Driving/Combo for the hell of it). We have XL80s also and they are aimed slightly higher then the LP9 for that extra distance (although the LP9 are just insane)

RipReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased the Baja Designs "sportsman" package (from Offroad Alliance, a/k/a FordRaptorLights.com) - Baja Design Squadron Sport (spot) + Baja Design Squadron Sport (Driving Combo) + Baja Design S2 Sport (Wide cornering) for my 2018 Raptor fog light pockets on the bumper. While the OEM headlights are very good, I thought the OEM high-beams were lacking definition and far reach. This, plus a close encounter with stalled out tractor-trailer blocking the entire back country road, prompted me to get the Sportsman kit. I have since moved the S2 Sports to the rear bumper because their output - while good - is no better than the headlights (and they pale next to the Squadron Sports...makes sense as those are 3150 lumen each and the S2 sports are only 1150 lumen each). I then installed a third pair of BD Squadron Sport (Wide cornering) up front.

After driving in remote Arkansas, Oklahoma and urban Dallas, I can honestly say the following:
1. The BD Squadron Sport in Driving Combo is my favorite. It is essentially a replacement for headlights and fog lights in a single pair of lights. Aimed properly, I haven't had a single complaint and THEY ARE BRIGHT.
2. I'm glad to I "Upgraded" my wide cornering to the BD Squadron Sport. These are fog lights, so not distance, but they do a good job of BRIGHTLY lighting up the immediate surroundings without blinding oncoming drivers. Combined with OEM headlights, I have no complaints (other than my OEM LED headlights now seem pale).
3. If you are going to get Spots, they need to be mounted higher than the bumper. They work well in the bumper - but the down range lighting at far distances, they only augment the OEM high beams instead of overpowering them. Mounted higher (e.g., on the hood hood or over roof), they would do a better job farther out. To visualize, take a mag light (or other aimable flashlight) and focus to spot and then take a walk on a dark night with the light down at your side (hip level = bumper level, about 25" above ground). Then hold the same light overhead and angled down. You'll get much better down-road visibility.

Not to bury the lead, but are they worth it? YES. So much so that I didn't hesitate to buy the extra Squadron Sport (for the front) and move the S2 Sport to the rear bumper for augmented back up lights.

One last comment: you can buy them anywhere - I researched lighting for a year before buying through Tyson @ FordRaptorLights.com - but I'd strongly recommend you look at them for phenomenal customer service - at all hours - before, during and after the sale. I say this merely has happy customer.

Last edited:

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of BD lights on my ‘13, been on it since ‘14 with zero issues, while not used as off road lights, I wind up in remote locations and there is generally no houses, businesses or lights, that truck has 2 OnX 6 30” bars, 1 20” bar and a pair of squadron pro’s on the front, a pair of flush mount squadron pro’s and xl80’s for backup lights.

The new raptor is getting a pro pocket kit with the s2’s Upgraded to pro’s, a 40” curved OnX6+ and S2’s for backup lights.

I would suggest upgrading to the pro’s just for better light output

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a bunch of BD lights on my ‘13, been on it since ‘14 with zero issues, while not used as off road lights, I wind up in remote locations and there is generally no houses, businesses or lights, that truck has 2 OnX 6 30” bars, 1 20” bar and a pair of squadron pro’s on the front, a pair of flush mount squadron pro’s and xl80’s for backup lights.

The new raptor is getting a pro pocket kit with the s2’s Upgraded to pro’s, a 40” curved OnX6+ and S2’s for backup lights.

I would suggest upgrading to the pro’s just for better light output

That's what I did on our demo truck. We went with the S2 Pros. For me, not having fogs and having the Factory OEM LED system was a big lighting downgrade from my other demo truck (which has our own LED bulbs in it). So the S2 Pros really help at night lighting up the road in front of the truck. I'd suggest aiming the S2 Pro down towards the ground more but it's a good kit.

The Sportsmen kit is a great introduction to Baja if you can't fork over the extra money for the Pro kit. The pro kit gives you a big upgrade but you still get S2 Sports (we do offer on our site an upgrade option on the Pro kit to upgrade the S2 Sports over to Pro). I think the unlimited kit is the most popular as you get S2 Pro included, plus Squadron Pros and Squadron Racers.

Another option is to check out our SPP Triple Fog Light Kit. It includes the same Baja Designs lights but you get to pick which lights go into your kit. So if you want S2 Pros but Squadron sports... so be it. Want amber S2 Pros and white Squadron Pros? Not a problem. You get to design the perfect kit for your driving needs.

We regularly talk to customers about where they live to help them design the perfect lighting setup based on THEIR location and how THEY drive. The Baja kits are awesome but it's like a hockey helmet. A lot of awesome helmets but the pros always have their helmets custom fit to them, the same with their sticks and skates.

That SPP Triple Fog Light Kit is here: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/2017-ford-raptor-triple-fog-light-kit-w-baja-designs-lights/

The Baja Designs Kits are here: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-auxiliary-lights/baja-designs/raptor-2017-lighting-kits/

RipReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased amber wide-cornering lens and installed them in the Sqaudron Sport Spot lights (and adjusted the aim on my driving combo pair). Running an amber pair and white pair of wide cornering (aimed slightly wider/farther down the road) makes an immense difference in USABLE light down the road while the driving combo now does a good job augmenting hi-beam (OEM) lights.

RipReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old Squadron Sport were only 1850 lumen, but the new ones are 3150. Makes a difference (and made the S2 Sports (1150) look woefully inadequate. The pros are 4900 lumen (admittedly, big difference), but I ran into the quandry of when and where can I use them (live in bigger city). Squadron sport wide cornering are more than enough near field, but I admit Squadron Pro Spots (especially mounted above hood or higher) would be welcomed improvement.