Baja Designs 'Security Hardware'...thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a set of Baja Designs Squadron Sports, and would like to at least try to deter thieves (not that anything is "theft proof"). I see that there are a couple options that BD sells, specifically the S2/Squadron security bolts and the 3/8 Tamperproof security nuts. Anyone have any thoughts as to which is better, or how they compare? Thanks!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
A little spendy, but if you live in or visit areas frequented by stupid people, willing to commit the sin of ******** with another’s truck, then yeah, this would keep would be thieves busy longer. You could also use tamper proof torx in the same thread pattern/pitch.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We're a VERY large stocking Baja Designs dealer. So check out our site when you are ready to order as we'll get them shipped out from our warehouse within 24 hours: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-driving-fog-lights/baja-designs/squadron-sport/

As for the security hardware. Well it does help. But if a thief really wants the lights, they are going to get them. We do sell quite a few of the security kits and we stock both kinds

Tamperproof Security Hardware: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-3-8-tamperproof-security-hardware-kit/
Basically they go on the bottom of the bolt which makes it a bit difficult to get the light off

Security Bolt: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-s2-squadron-pro-sport-security-hardware-kit/
These are similar to what we call "elevator screws" back in my old trade (security systems). You always saw these in elevator cabs. But now they make all kinds of security bolts. They require a special tool to remove. You can find these "security kits" at any hardware store for like $5 though. So it's a very common tool.

Will a thief have this on hand? Probably not. But a thief might come back a 2nd night with what he needs to get them off.

You could do the belt + suspenders and use both kinds. This way you've got a lot more protection using both.

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
To touch on what @smurfslayer said. If someone wants them, they will get them. The question is, do you want $2,000 worth of body damage from a crowbar and hammer to where they are mounted to your truck? Or for them to just take the lights clean?
A pro thief would never be detoured by security bolts. They have saws, cutters, etc. They normally don't carry proper wrenches with them anyway. It's about speed. Crack heads on the other hand aren't carrying around proper tools either. It's usually the crow bars, hammers or whatever they can find.
From the car lot days, I can tell you plenty of times catalytic converters were stolen for their platinum and expensive scrap materials. They never unbolted them. They cut the pipes off clean. In and out.
Just a thought.

John

Swaddict

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Squadrons installed on my ADD bumper and thought about the security hardware too. After installing the lights and bumper, you really have to want the lights to take them. They are very difficult to even adjust when mounted on the bumper, bolt and nut access is very tight. If installing on stock bumper as a fog light, then I wouldn't worry about that location either, very tight access.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought the security bolts after install, never used them.

OP
OP
Ski4Ever

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m actually going to be mounting them as ditch lights, so they’ll be up on the a-pillars…much more easily accessible than hidden in a bumper. That’s my main reason for wanting something to make it a little more difficult for a bored teenager to try to steal. I realize that a professional thief isn’t going to be deterred…

I bought the security bolts after install, never used them.
Any chance you still have them?

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m sure I do but you need to be sure they will fit. I’ll dig em up and take a pic. Hang on.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The bolts are too small for nuts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 7