GEN 2 Baja Designs SAE Compliant Replacement Lens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammer73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ehhhhhh WTF. That looks horrible. I would have thought that - based on prior statements that the error was minuscule - a better solution would exist than creating a cutoff screen in the lens.

I honesty am thinking about cancelling my order ....

Ps. Can Baja D or anyone provide specs and pattern pictures of compliant vs non-compliant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Ehhhhhh WTF. That looks horrible. I would have thought that - based on prior statements that the error was minuscule - a better solution would exist than creating a cutoff screen in the lens.

Ps. Can Baja D or anyone provide specs and pattern pictures of compliant vs non-compliant?

I might cancel mine too because I don't like the look of those lenses.

OP
OP
okieff218

okieff218

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Would be nice to have someone from Baja Designs confirm whether or not this is what the new ones will look like. This looks more like an after-the-fact fix than a redesign.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here are some photos from some TacomaWorld folks... you can't really notice the piece behind the lens in all honesty and the pattern seems great still

20191220_141305-jpg.jpg

20191220_180511-jpg.jpg

SD1290

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disappointing that these were marketed as SAE from the beginning. I don’t see how this new lense will not decrease the output, but I’ll reserve judgement until receiving the new lens and trying it.

It was originally advertised as 150% brighter than oem fogs, with this new lens will that still be true?

Freddy411

Reaction score
How does one go about getting these new replacement lens? Are they free of charge to those of us that bought the SAE light under the assumption that they were street legal?

OP
OP
okieff218

okieff218

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does one go about getting these new replacement lens? Are they free of charge to those of us that bought the SAE light under the assumption that they were street legal?
I emailed BD when I heard about the issue. They asked for my order confirmation and home address. Next thing I know, they sent me a tracking number. Very good customer service by BD, IMO.

Here is the email address for the guy I dealt with:

Paul McGrath

[email protected]

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my Baja Designs rep. He's assured me that there is minimal drop in output from the original (just enough to meet SAE requirements). The way the optics are designed inside the housing is what helps them NOT lose a lot of light. They are mainly helping focus that light. The SAE's have different optics (compared to regular Squadrons) behind the lenses to help focus the light, and the new back-plate helps this even more. If you ever saw the original SAE you'd notice how they had a rectangle style appearance, as does the "new" lens setup. So the little windows now, don't really hurt them THAT much. Not enough you'll notice them I feel with the naked eye.

It LOOKS like it'll block the light, but in reality, because of how the optics are designed behind the lens, it's not actually hindering the performance enough you'll notice it with the naked eye.

For those who do have SAE lights and want the updated lenses, you can contact Baja Designs by emailing [email protected]

You'll want to include order information on where you got your lights from/etc... and they'll get them swapped out.

If you're a customer of ours, we're also allowing customers to swap them out with us as well (which is helpful especially if you are a local customer or closer to NY then CA). We'll have some of the new SAE lenses on hand for those customers who want to work with us direct as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
okieff218

okieff218

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my Baja Designs rep. He's assured me that there is minimal drop in output from the original (just enough to meet SAE requirements). The way the optics are designed inside the housing is what helps them NOT lose a lot of light. They are mainly helping focus that light. The SAE's have different optics (compared to regular Squadrons) behind the lenses to help focus the light, and the new back-plate helps this even more. If you ever saw the original SAE you'd notice how they had a rectangle style appearance, as does the "new" lens setup. So the little windows now, don't really hurt them THAT much. Not enough you'll notice them I feel with the naked eye.

It LOOKS like it'll block the light, but in reality, because of how the optics are designed behind the lens, it's not actually hindering the performance enough you'll notice it with the naked eye.

For those who do have SAE lights and want the updated lenses, you can contact Baja Designs by emailing [email protected]

You'll want to include order information on where you got your lights from/etc... and they'll get them swapped out.

If you're a customer of ours, we're also allowing customers to swap them out with us as well (which is helpful especially if you are a local customer or closer to NY then CA). We'll have some of the new SAE lenses on hand for those customers who want to work with us direct as well.
Anyone want to post some pics of each?