GEN 2 Baja Designs S2 back up lights install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Just feed the S2s with the upfitter as well and put a diode on the wire to the trailer harness. That way they will still come on when you use reverse and you can put on at your leisure with the upfitter.

Bullfrog

Reaction score
Just feed the S2s with the upfitter as well and put a diode on the wire to the trailer harness. That way they will still come on when you use reverse and you can put on at your leisure with the upfitter.

Thanks Kahuna.

I understand that I’m introducing a new power source, coming from the upfitter switch, to the S2’s. As a result, the S2’s will be connected to the reverse light feed from the tail light harness AND the upfitter switch.

What I need help with:

1. What specific diode do I use? (Would someone mind posting a link to an example of one that would be suitable?)

My available upfitter switch: 10amps.

My S2’s: 12Watts / .9Amps

2. Where specifically do I connect each terminal (end) of the diode in the wiring?

I’m bigtime grateful for the help!

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not need a diode. I order the wiring harness from Fordraptorlights. Spliced into the reverse light wire at the drivers side tail light, and ran up to the upfitter wires by the passenger footwell with the other half of the harness. Lights come on when I put the truck in reverse, or when I hit the upfitter switch. Lights up the reverse lights and BD s2’s.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Run a relay. Switch to nc. Reverse to no.. Light to common. Trigger to reverse. Or run a switch to no and you can control when it works in reverse

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Thanks Kahuna.

I understand that I’m introducing a new power source, coming from the upfitter switch, to the S2’s. As a result, the S2’s will be connected to the reverse light feed from the tail light harness AND the upfitter switch.

What I need help with:

1. What specific diode do I use? (Would someone mind posting a link to an example of one that would be suitable?)

My available upfitter switch: 10amps.

My S2’s: 12Watts / .9Amps

2. Where specifically do I connect each terminal (end) of the diode in the wiring?

I’m bigtime grateful for the help!

Please note, I have not done this so take advice from the others if they did not need to use a diode. I would be nervous feeing power back into the tail light harness if I was doing it for the first time and would have put a diode between the trailer light tap and the s2s. You could use a regular type like this or splice in a fuse holder and use one of these.

If others are doing it without a diode and no ill effects then I wouldn't bother with the diode.

Bullfrog

Reaction score
Please note, I have not done this so take advice from the others if they did not need to use a diode. I would be nervous feeing power back into the tail light harness if I was doing it for the first time and would have put a diode between the trailer light tap and the s2s. You could use a regular type like this or splice in a fuse holder and use one of these.

If others are doing it without a diode and no ill effects then I wouldn't bother with the diode.

Good point. No one has specifically said they are doing it w/o the diode with no ill effects.

Sounds like it wouldn’t hurt to play it safe and use the diode.

Thanks for the advice and the diode links.

Do you shrink wrap over the “regular type” diode once you’ve got it connected?

Last edited:

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no side affects by wiring to the upfitter and reverse light. No ill affects. Turn the lights on with the switch, and put the truck in reverse at the same time, no problems or issues. Works as described. There is a specific wiring harness built for this exact situation. But wiring it from the reverse light wire on the drivers side tail light, not the trailer tow plug. It was explained to me that the upfitters are already controlled by relays, so it would not hurt anything.

Last edited:

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A connected relay will backfeed. Draw it out. A relay has to be open to stop backfeed.