Baja Designs: General Discussion Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6inaRow

Reaction score
Hey BD, any updates planned in the near future for the XL80's? Just trying to weigh all my options. I've read that quite a few people prefer the output from the XL80's over the LP6's.

Do you have anything to add to those comments? Do the higher power chips in the XL80's give more distance or spread in a driving combo pattern? Or do the extra 2 spot optics and IPT overcome that? Thanks.

OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Currently, we don't have any plans to update the XL80. Where are you planning to mount the light? That will have a large weigh in. If were talking about the A-pillar, many customers prefer the XL80 because it doesn't have the 200 degree spread like the LP series does. The LP series would actually be shining light into the cab, causing glare and disturbance to the vehicle's passengers. But if you were mounting lights on a front bumper, the LP6 would be better because of the wider spread and higher intensity it provides. Which results in better distance and terrain recognition allowing you to drive faster.

6inaRow

Reaction score
They are going to be bumper mounted lights. I like the looks and the IPT of the LP6's but the 20w chips and lower price of the XL80's have me contemplating between the two options.

So the LP6's do shine farther than the XL80's? Due to the fact they have more spot optics I'm guessing even though they have lower power chips?

OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The LP6s do shine farther because two of the six forward facing LEDs are dome-less, which translates into a tighter, high intensity beam. The LP series is designed around the 200 degree spread and we've selected a unique pattern of LEDs to best execute that. You will have a wider spread, more distance, and better overall intensity for terrain recognition when comparing the LP6 and XL80.

OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys - Just wanted to share a brief announcement.

Temporary LED Change
Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Due to a global pandemic Baja Designs has experienced an increased scarcity of LEDs in our tightly controlled temperature range. This shortage affects our OnX6+, LP6, LP4, XL80, Squadron Pro, S2 Pro, and S1 series of lights. Rather than halting production at our San Marcos, CA facility, Baja Designs has opted to source LEDs in a lower color temperature range without sacrificing the performance and quality enthusiasts expect from Baja Designs. Beginning February 17th, 2021, Baja Designs will be shipping lights with a combination of LEDs ranging from 4000k-5000k.

Although we have long established that 5000k is the ideal color temperature, LEDs in the 4000-4500k color range are preferred to alternative LEDs more commonly available in the 5700K and up ranges. As such, we find that this solution is the most favorable option to continue manufacturing a premium product.

If you have any questions or concerns about this temporary LED change, you can ask here or DM me for more info.

4000k vs 5000k.jpg

Darthyota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - Just wanted to share a brief announcement.

Temporary LED Change
Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Due to a global pandemic Baja Designs has experienced an increased scarcity of LEDs in our tightly controlled temperature range. This shortage affects our OnX6+, LP6, LP4, XL80, Squadron Pro, S2 Pro, and S1 series of lights. Rather than halting production at our San Marcos, CA facility, Baja Designs has opted to source LEDs in a lower color temperature range without sacrificing the performance and quality enthusiasts expect from Baja Designs. Beginning February 17th, 2021, Baja Designs will be shipping lights with a combination of LEDs ranging from 4000k-5000k.

Although we have long established that 5000k is the ideal color temperature, LEDs in the 4000-4500k color range are preferred to alternative LEDs more commonly available in the 5700K and up ranges. As such, we find that this solution is the most favorable option to continue manufacturing a premium product.

If you have any questions or concerns about this temporary LED change, you can ask here or DM me for more info.

View attachment 162175
When ordering will we be able to specify what color temp we want?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When ordering will we be able to specify what color temp we want?

No. From what BD tells us all orders as of yesterday or so that are going out have the new temp. If you want the regular color temp you can contact us and we can verify if we have the 5000k on the shelf for you in our warehouse though. We have a LOT of stock on the 5000k stuff still. But anything new coming into our warehouse will be the new color temp. So just shoot me a message when you are ready to order and we can verify you get the color temp you want.

EpRaptor

Reaction score
Looking into getting two sets of new or used baja designs xl 80 led light or LP4s with pillars. Please let me know if someone has some for sale

Last edited: