Baja Designs: General Discussion Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Correct. Spot is basically 4 spot lenses while driving combo has 2 spot and 2 driving lenses (thus the term Driving/Combo).

They are focused so that all 4 spots create 1 single point where the light goes out (or 2 when using a driving/combo lense).

You can't really tell the spot is broken up into 4 quadrants when the light shines out.

If you are putting these on your pillar, as you had told me via PM you were thinking, I'd recommend spots. I have driving/combos on my pillars now and I do get some light reflecting off the hood. I may try installing the leneses upside down to maybe help that or just to go with spot only. I have more then enough light for lighting up around me (i do have dual 50" OnX6 bars which have spot however so that throws the light down range as well).

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Correct. Spot is basically 4 spot lenses while driving combo has 2 spot and 2 driving lenses (thus the term Driving/Combo).

They are focused so that all 4 spots create 1 single point where the light goes out (or 2 when using a driving/combo lense).

You can't really tell the spot is broken up into 4 quadrants when the light shines out.

If you are putting these on your pillar, as you had told me via PM you were thinking, I'd recommend spots. I have driving/combos on my pillars now and I do get some light reflecting off the hood. I may try installing the leneses upside down to maybe help that or just to go with spot only. I have more then enough light for lighting up around me (i do have dual 50" OnX6 bars which have spot however so that throws the light down range as well).

Nature of the beast. You'll always get some reflection back on the hood, even with spots.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nature of the beast. You'll always get some reflection back on the hood, even with spots.

Yeah but spots will help minimize that. The driving combos are designed to spread light out (which is why they are good for fogs).

I'll be honest I never use my pillars or my roof bars, no need ever, the damn 40" in my bumper puts out sufficient light for where I go. But I just put ambers on the pillars

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but spots will help minimize that. The driving combos are designed to spread light out (which is why they are good for fogs).

I'll be honest I never use my pillars or my roof bars, no need ever, the damn 40" in my bumper puts out sufficient light for where I go. But I just put ambers on the pillars

some jeep guys back in the day would fabricate a small lower shield on the light to shadow the hood. Looks like a 6 inch scoop on the bottom of the light going forward. Build one out of cardboard and see if it works while parked to get the right shape. Then make it in aluminum or vaccum bag a carbon fiber one. Wish I still lived near my friends fab shop id make some.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hmm not a bad idea. I'm gonna try spots first see how that works. I never use them, mainly because of all the other lighting but would like to use them for backwoods foggy driving.

OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Would you guys make XL80 in SPOT pattern only? All SPOT, not the driving/combo :biggrin:

We don't make an XL80 in Spot but it can easily be done.

All you need to do is purchase one of our XL Series, Spot Lens Kit and install on your light. This can be done in a matter of minutes thanks to our uService Technology.

XL Series, Spot, Lens Kit
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/xl-pro-sport-spot-lens-kit.asp

UService_1.jpg

-Bailey, Baja Designs
www.bajadesigns.com

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

@Jimbo is correct. All lights will provide some reflection back although Spot will provide the least amount.

Our Driving/Combo could also work but you will have increased glare due to the wide cornering optics found in the lower part of the beam.

We don't recommend Wide Cornering unless you're aiming the lights out towards the shoulder of the road.

Here are quick comparisons between the Spot and Driving/Combo beam:

SPOT
35079961090_577eaabd50_b.jpg

DRIVING/COMBO
30248920726_b8182a61af_b.jpg

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Squardon racer will reach further than XL 80 spot? But XL 80 are much brighter than Squardon racer, right?

I have 2 squardon pro spot + 2 squardon pro driving/combo at factory bumper fog lights position already. So looking for something could reach further than these. Maybe couple XL 80 Racer!! :party33: