Baja Designs: General Discussion Thread - GEN 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badjk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So there is a 2 light bracket available that doesn’t put the lights in such tight space. Maybe that would be A better solution for you. I am running the three light setup with the outside light being the KC light. Blockage is minimal and light output is more than I need for any situation.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of vendors running a spring/tax season sale beyond the typical 10% offered year round? I need that little extra to push me over the edge and get on with a purchase. I'm not in love with any of the 3 light setups as the inside light seems to be blocked by the cutout, maybe there is a bracket people prefer who are in the same boat.

I'm sold on the baja lights as I had more than a few problems with my rigid setup on my last truck. I like the 3 light per side setup, just not feeling the warm and fuzzy with that inside light.

Edit: Has anyone used 3 squadrons in each pocket, with a wide cornering on the inside, aimed slightly out versus straight on? Would this "solve" my issue of wasted light, make things worse, make no difference at all?

yes. There was a 2017 thread linking to a book face posting in which an owner made his own bracket out of angle aluminum. I found the post, took basic measurements and replicated. first with 2 lights, because B/D doesn’t offer easy financing plans :p then I added an outboard squadron sport set to get the project done; by that time Black Friday rolled around and I get a pretty good deal from a supporting vendor here.

No free lunch though, the squadrons are stacked pretty tight to make them fit without the bumper contour interfering. If I remember correctly you need about a 14” section of 2 inch angle aluminum - or steel - to work with. You need to relief cut the outboard section on each side and I also seem to recall I didn’t need the full 14” for this endeavor.

I did this the slow, 3 beer project way - cut it, test fit, cut again, test fit, mark the first hole, drill the first hole, mark the 2nd hole, drill it. next beer, go to the other side, repeat. Measure the opening vs. the bar placement, guesstimate where the lights should go for relatively even placement, crawl back under the truck, test fit light placement front to back, ponder, more beer, ponder more, **** it, drill the first hole, mount the light, admire the work, drill the next one, drink some more beer, admire the work, go to the other side.

The other side remaining work goes much faster; last few sips of the 2nd beer, a few from the 3rd beer, think about wiring work then realize after 3 beers, I probably better not. wire the next day.

I think one reason for the smaller outboard light is that even the squadron sports are painfully bright. the pros are 2x that.

IMG_3797.png

The inboard lights look obstructed here, but further back they look fine.

xmadcowx

Reaction score
Great info, thanks for the update. Still mulling over final decisions, leaning towards an unlimited kit and making some modifications once it is in my hands to add a 3rd squadron. Most likely I will say "this is plenty of light".

Looking at A pillar options now and figuring out how to power everything from the upfitter switches.

OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT

670006_n.jpg

XL80, Work/Scene

The XL80 Work/Scene light puts out a show stopping 9,500 lumens. Ideal for illuminating work spaces, camp sites, and anything in between. The XL80 Work/Scene outputs an extremely smooth 120° pattern that projects well past the 400ft mark, while providing usable light to a minimum of 250ft. As this is not a distance oriented pattern and we do not consider suitable for driving.

The XL80 Work/Scene is offered with its own specific bracket that is designed to provide maximum adjustability. Similar to the rest of the premium members of the XL series, the XL80 offers an optional 20% dimming feature. As always, Baja Designs offers a 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee, and Limited Lifetime Warranty.

AVAILABLE HERE

OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Why Baja Designs? Well for starters, Baja Designs unique use of O-ring seals instead of silicone allows users to change their beam pattern and lenses with ease. Other LED lights on the market are silicone sealed so their patterns are not customizable and a rock chip requires you to return the light to the manufacturer for service or purchase a completely new light. On the other hand, if a BD lens happens to get scratched or you need a different light pattern, simply unscrew BD’s water and dust proof lens and custom O-ring seal and install the replacements. Not to mention, users are still fully covered by a Lifetime Warranty. For more information on our uService Technology:

Baja Designs | uService Technology