Baja Designs: General Discussion Thread - GEN 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The XL80 with the spot lenses may be the ticket. Would that make sense to do that with the 2 LP6 spots since the LP6 would already have this light zone covered? A pair of the XL80 and the XL Racers are the same $, so I am trying to get the most light spread/coverage I can with my other lights for the money.

The lasers are sweet for sure! I would love those but they're more than I want to spend!

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Question for Baja Designs or any of the lighting pro forum sponsors..

I need some help deciding on what to run on my A pillar mounts. Either the XL80 or the XL Racers.

My set up will consist of an ADD pro bolt on front bumper with a 20" BD Onx6+ amber light bar in wide driving pattern. And the ADD light hoop with 2 BD LP6 Pros in spot pattern, and 2 more LP6 in combo/driving pattern.

For the A pillar I want to use the SDHQ mounts attached to either the XL80 or XL Racer. I have heard the XL80 are extremely bright, and according to the BD site they are 9,500 lumens each vs the 4,300 offered on the XL Racer. But I understand the point of the Racer lights is to throw light further than the XL80.

If you look at the BD lighting zone chart, I have zone 1/2 covered with the Onx6+, zone3 covered with the 2 LP6 driving/combo, and zone 4 covered with the LP6 Spot. The XL racers would cover zone 5, but I do not do offroading at any high speeds, so I am not sure that will be necessary. But it would be nice to cover all the zones out front. But with the XL80s, I would be in the same zone as the LP6, so would that be pointless to cover that zone again?

Thanks!

I'd recommend the XL80s in spot. Baja does not offer these but it's something we offer our customers at no extra charge. We run XL80s with spot patterns on our truck.

Since you are not doing racing, XL80s with Spots would be ideal. Driving/Combos are popular but you can throw a bit of glare on your hood with those.

The SDHQ brackets are popular and we have them in stock right now actually (just got a new shipment in).

For your bumper and light mounts, if you've not purchased them yet let us know. We're an ADD dealer here at 4x4TruckLEDs.com and we're one of the larger stocking Baja Designs dealers. So we offer lots of kits to get you going.

I'd say go with a Driving/Combo in your LP6. It'll give you some spot and wide cornering range. A light down low benefits better using some wide cornering whereas spots work better up high (since it'll clear more).

I run 4x LP9 Driving/Combo on my truck. It REALLY throws light down range and fills up the area.

Just shoot me a PM and we can price everything out for you. I've even got the add-on-hoop light mounts in stock as well.

Our demo truck to give you an idea on some patterns

116045037_10217782300084634_2719840187335305431_o.jpg

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone think there is a market for BD S2 SAE? Reason I ask, Diode Dynamics recently released their SSC2 light (SAE option) and many people are buzzing over it. I would love a pair of BD S2 SAE lights. Discuses. BD your opinion? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regards S1 backup lights kit and before I start ripping into my brand new Raptor EXACTLY where and how do I tie into the rear tail light? And EXACTLY where I do I ground it? I presume I need bare metal somewhere underneath? I’ve watched video btw and it does not get into this to my satisfaction which leaves my quite reluctant to purchase. Thx much.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Did you buy your reverse kit already? If so there should be instructions in there. If you didn't buy a kit and you are researching, then there are a few bolts under the truck near the tail light you can use for this purpose.

Baja does not offer an S1 reverse kit for Raptors, but we put one together when the S1's were first released. It gives you everything you need (including the wiring harness to tap into the rear lights).

S1 Surface Mount (hangs): http://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-ford-raptor-2017-s1-reverse-light-kit/
S1 Flush Mount (you'll drill into your bumper): http://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-ford-raptor-2017-s1-flush-mount-reverse-light-kit/

We offer both with our optional upfitter control kit, which allows you to activate the lights both in reverse AND from an upfitter. Our harness also prevents back-feeding your factory lights

S2 Surface Mount (hangs): http://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-ford-raptor-2017-s2-reverse-light-kit/
S2 Flush Mount: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-ford-raptor-2017-s2-flush-mount-reverse-light-kit/

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regards S1 backup lights kit and before I start ripping into my brand new Raptor EXACTLY where and how do I tie into the rear tail light? And EXACTLY where I do I ground it? I presume I need bare metal somewhere underneath? I’ve watched video btw and it does not get into this to my satisfaction which leaves my quite reluctant to purchase. Thx much.

Here's the link to the instructions --->>> OFFROADALLIANCE.COM

And for a good visual, here's the S1 flushmounts and S1 surface mounts installed:

FUfYyFT.jpg

aKAHZlS.jpg

A couple of output shots to show just how bright these S1's are:

wYD0ASO.jpg

ywdbJ35.jpg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend the XL80s in spot. Baja does not offer these but it's something we offer our customers at no extra charge. We run XL80s with spot patterns on our truck.

Since you are not doing racing, XL80s with Spots would be ideal. Driving/Combos are popular but you can throw a bit of glare on your hood with those.

The SDHQ brackets are popular and we have them in stock right now actually (just got a new shipment in).

For your bumper and light mounts, if you've not purchased them yet let us know. We're an ADD dealer here at 4x4TruckLEDs.com and we're one of the larger stocking Baja Designs dealers. So we offer lots of kits to get you going.

I'd say go with a Driving/Combo in your LP6. It'll give you some spot and wide cornering range. A light down low benefits better using some wide cornering whereas spots work better up high (since it'll clear more).

I run 4x LP9 Driving/Combo on my truck. It REALLY throws light down range and fills up the area.

Just shoot me a PM and we can price everything out for you. I've even got the add-on-hoop light mounts in stock as well.

Our demo truck to give you an idea on some patterns

116045037_10217782300084634_2719840187335305431_o.jpg

Thanks, appreciate your feedback!

Jonesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Much better and thanks. With the exception of the splice connector. Exactly what is yours like, how does it work, and can you share pictures please? FWIW I’m not interested in those flush mounts.

Here's the link to the instructions --->>> OFFROADALLIANCE.COM

And for a good visual, here's the S1 flushmounts and S1 surface mounts installed:

FUfYyFT.jpg

aKAHZlS.jpg

A couple of output shots to show just how bright these S1's are:

wYD0ASO.jpg

ywdbJ35.jpg

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Much better and thanks. With the exception of the splice connector. Exactly what is yours like, how does it work, and can you share pictures please? FWIW I’m not interested in those flush mounts.

Installation of the wiring is identical to the instructions provided. For mounting, we include hardware so that you can mount them to the underside of your rear bumper. No drilling, there's already an existing hole there for mounting.

As far as pictures go, Baja's instructions show the wiring. Here's a closer shot of the mounting:

Hyzm1r2.jpg