GEN 2 Baja Designs Ford, Raptor 2017 S2 Reverse Light Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaeis62

Reaction score
Looking for some reverse lights for my 2018 Raptor, this is my 4th F150 and was never happy with the amount of light that the tail lights put out.
Picked up the BD S2 kit from 4x4 TruckLEDS.com, they had the best price I could find, I did not upgrade to the Pros and stayed with the Sports.
There are a few threads that discuss the kit, and I took some info and pictures from them to help with my install.
I found the included instructions leaved something to be desired, but also found that there were different ways they could be installed, so it might have been intentional.
The kit included two lights, two brackets, the harness to connect the two lights, and another harness to the tail light. I elected to wire up only to the reverse lights, not the Upfitter switch, I may do that later.
Started with the passenger side for no particular reason and removed the bolt that the bracket attaches too, first issue is the orientation of the bracket, which way is up? I ended up installing the bracket with the bolt holes on the bottom as opposed to the top, with the bolt holes on top the light itself contacted the bumper, and the light cord rubbed the bracket. When installing the bracket I used the included thick spacers to move the light further out from the mount point and avoid the little bendout in the mount point. Now the tricky part, installing the light into the bracket. The inner bolt holes facing the license plate side were easy, the included lock washers go between the light and the bracket, then wiggle the bolt and fingertight while trying to keep the washer from falling out. The hole facing the tailpipe side is the pain. Someone suggested a 4 MM long ball allen, didn't work for me, not even close. I ended up cutting down a 4 MM allen and using that to tighten the exhaust side bolts. I removed the exhaust mount double bolts, pulled the exhaust away and clamped it down while getting the bolt in, even doing this there was very little space to work in. Did the other side the same way. I laid out the harness connecting the two lights and ran along with a harness already near where I wanted it and zip ties it place. I then ran the other harness up to the drivers side tail light and used the supplied splitter to tap into the green brown wire, I had to trim a little of the plastic of the tail light wire as I didn't get good contact the first time I tried. Double checked all the connects and finished zip tying the harness up. Had my S/O start the truck, put it in reveres and had lights. Bolted the tail light in and done. Took about the three hours start to finish trying to figure out which way to mount the bracket, cut down an allen wrench and how to get the bolts in. Knowing what I know now it would probably take an hour or so to do depending on how long you have to fiddle with the bolts to get them in.

Next project is the Baja Designs Ford, Raptor 2017+ OnX6 Hi-Power Lower Grille LED Kit. Waiting for a sale.Light bracket mount point.jpg Light bracket and bolt.jpg Light Bracket installed.jpg Lights with clamp.jpg

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh yeah...I just did the same install on my truck last weekend...I replaced all the hardware with flange hex head bolts including the factory bolt used to attach the light bracket to the truck...it was kind of a PIA to install...I used my 7 pin trailer connector wire harness to power the lights in reverse...
The lights worked just perfect for what I needed.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Baja Designs does make the best lights but yeahhhhh those instructions do lack some details. Glad you got them working. We actually have a sale on an old OnX6 grille kit if you are interested. It was built right when they were making the transition to the new OnX6+ light bars so the box says OnX6+ but it's got the old light bar in it. It's the last one we have from the old Hi-Power one (the others are all OnX6+ now that we have).

So if you want to save some cash and don't mind the older model, well we can certainly help you out. Now I DO only have this one from the old Hi-Power and when it's gone it's gone... so if you want it, message me quickly. Otherwise we always have the OnX6 kits in stock and the new OnX6+ models will be the ones we ship.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed mine today...and yeah, much easier installation with regular bolts for the exhaust side of the bracket. Either that or grind down an allen key to fit between the bracket and exhaust...or drop the exhaust I suppose.

I just turned the bracket 90 degrees with the mounting bolt almost tight (very snug, but loose enough to turn the bracket):

i-HC9SVxx-X3.jpg

Got one side tight, but left the other bracket bolt out...then rotated the light back into place. There’s (barely) enough play in the bracket to get the torx bit in above the light if you use a wobble-head extension. I tightened the mounting bolt and then just installed the inboard bracket bolt.

Complete:

i-cGHNWND-X3.jpg

Hardest part for me was figuring out how to run the wires. I wound up just running them through the hitch tubing. Couldn’t find my wire fishing tape, but the stock antenna is exactly the right length to tape the loom to and fish through the hitch:

i-ZwnG5Zr-X3.jpg

Go from driver’s side since that’s where the ground wire, etc. connect to the truck...fishing it through the hitch square tubing (looking up from the ground):

i-nMNbnjP-X3.jpg

Makes for a well-protected wiring harness and the only visible wires are where they go into the light. Passenger side:

i-4d5dhsK-X3.jpg

Note: it feels like there’s a blockage when fishing it through the hitch tubing, but it’s just a bolt about 3/4 of the way through (on the passenger side)...the wiring will fit around it if you manipulate it a bit.

Driver’s side from the end of the hitch:
i-rJWp9dV-X3.jpg

Driver side looking up... ground wire already in place:

i-gGPPQLZ-X3.jpg

And where the secondary harness plugs into the truck’s system:

i-8QNJvbM-X3.jpg

This is before I fished the “y” shaped wiring harness that connects the lights (that I ran through the hitch tubing) up into that cavity behind the tail light to connect the power.

Regardless: Job done!

i-7GRf6Zn-X3.jpg

Again, the only recommendation I have for BD is to include supplemental instructions on how to drop the exhaust...or alternatively include a cut down allen key, or simply use a bolt with a regular head (standard or metric) for that bracket bolt next to the exhaust.

Wiring was perfect length with a little excess to tuck it in and as usual top notch connectors and wire loom construction...very straightforward directions too, but installation could be even easier with a simple change to two of the bolts (one on each side) that hold the light to the bracket.

Last edited:

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just home... MUCH brighter backing into the garage. Didn’t take any pics though.

Will get my son to take a couple when he gets home in a bit and edit this post.