Baja Designs behind grille kit and re-wiring Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MNLeadfoot

Reaction score
That seems like a lot of upfitters used for thar around of lights but I guess if you're not using them for anything else it's no big deal. Did you have to run any relays?

GreatAvalon

Reaction score
That seems like a lot of upfitters used for thar around of lights but I guess if you're not using them for anything else it's no big deal. Did you have to run any relays?
Because he split up the 6 grille fogs into two switches, I doubt he had to.

I just ordered the behind grille kit from @Specialtyperformanceparts tonight after John and I chatted and dialed up exactly what I want to get out of them and how I want them to function on aux switches, and I'm going to run a relay on mine. I'm using 4 Squadron Pros and 2 Racer spots (racers to help guarantee long distance light makes it out of the grille), and I'm going to run all 6 in the grille on one switch. If I broke them up into two switches, I'd have to put the 4 lights on a 15A aux switch, but that would have been fine without relay. Then put the other 2 on a 10A aux switch and good to go.

MNLeadfoot

Reaction score
Because he split up the 6 grille fogs into two switches, I doubt he had to.

I just ordered the behind grille kit from @Specialtyperformanceparts tonight after John and I chatted and dialed up exactly what I want to get out of them and how I want them to function on aux switches, and I'm going to run a relay on mine. I'm using 4 Squadron Pros and 2 Racer spots (racers to help guarantee long distance light makes it out of the grille), and I'm going to run all 6 in the grille on one switch. If I broke them up into two switches, I'd have to put the 4 lights on a 15A aux switch, but that would have been fine without relay. Then put the other 2 on a 10A aux switch and good to go.
Ya I guess it's all situational and if you don't plan on needing any more switches, why not split them up.

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is there an option to upgrade the lights to the NON SAE variant for more output?
There are a lot of non-SAE lights available. Which lights are you wanting to upgrade? Fogs?

Give me a call or a text at (317) 934-6778 and I will gladly walk through some options with you.

Thanks!
Sidney @ SPV Parts

navy2x

Reaction score
So I picked up the BD behind the grille set using squadron sport lights from John @Specialtyperformanceparts. He made me a custom harness so I could run the ambers separate from the whites. I also regained the factory upfitter switch 1 with his relocation harness.
First and foremost, I called John several times and he was probably the most helpful of any company I’ve bought from. I had 3 huge wiring harnesses and it was a bit overwhelming and I was just going to pay a shop to do it. John said no and FaceTimed me to break it all down. Can’t thank you enough.

The Baja designs behind the grille kit is ok. I feel like their instructions need to be revised before sending out to customers. The one that threw me the most was saying there was a 10mm bolt that needed to be removed in order to remove the factory grille. I looked forever and it turns out the bolt is 8mm. Their pics leave a bit to be desired as well. Anyhow, the trim between the grille and the bumper was a major PITA to remove. You gotta yank the crap out of it. I ended up slicing my finger open pretty good, wear gloves and save your hands at that point.
Mounting the lights wasn’t hard, just time consuming.
Re-installing the grille, trim piece, all fasteners, putting the battery back in and wrapping up the wiring probably took 45 minutes. The rest of the install took me all day HA.
Couple pics. Inner most lights in the fog area are controlled my fog switch in the cab.
Middle lights are upfitter switch 1
Amber fogs are upfitter switch 2
White lights in grille are upfitter switch 3
Amber grille lights are upfitter switch 4
What light combo did you get? On SPP website there are many to choose from. And what is your rational for choosing that combo (trying to learn)?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4386.png
    IMG_4386.png
    349 KB · Views: 2