Baja Designs behind grille kit and re-wiring Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I picked up the BD behind the grille set using squadron sport lights from John @Specialtyperformanceparts. He made me a custom harness so I could run the ambers separate from the whites. I also regained the factory upfitter switch 1 with his relocation harness.
First and foremost, I called John several times and he was probably the most helpful of any company I’ve bought from. I had 3 huge wiring harnesses and it was a bit overwhelming and I was just going to pay a shop to do it. John said no and FaceTimed me to break it all down. Can’t thank you enough.

The Baja designs behind the grille kit is ok. I feel like their instructions need to be revised before sending out to customers. The one that threw me the most was saying there was a 10mm bolt that needed to be removed in order to remove the factory grille. I looked forever and it turns out the bolt is 8mm. Their pics leave a bit to be desired as well. Anyhow, the trim between the grille and the bumper was a major PITA to remove. You gotta yank the crap out of it. I ended up slicing my finger open pretty good, wear gloves and save your hands at that point.
Mounting the lights wasn’t hard, just time consuming.
Re-installing the grille, trim piece, all fasteners, putting the battery back in and wrapping up the wiring probably took 45 minutes. The rest of the install took me all day HA.
Couple pics. Inner most lights in the fog area are controlled my fog switch in the cab.
Middle lights are upfitter switch 1
Amber fogs are upfitter switch 2
White lights in grille are upfitter switch 3
Amber grille lights are upfitter switch 4

Attachments

• 85DC9954-7D24-4477-90B8-48D24134BF8E.jpeg
    85DC9954-7D24-4477-90B8-48D24134BF8E.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 240
  • 3B4ED886-F72F-4079-ADE2-58E9B7AFF9DA.jpeg
    3B4ED886-F72F-4079-ADE2-58E9B7AFF9DA.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 241

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So I picked up the BD behind the grille set using squadron sport lights from John @Specialtyperformanceparts. He made me a custom harness so I could run the ambers separate from the whites. I also regained the factory upfitter switch 1 with his relocation harness.
First and foremost, I called John several times and he was probably the most helpful of any company I’ve bought from. I had 3 huge wiring harnesses and it was a bit overwhelming and I was just going to pay a shop to do it. John said no and FaceTimed me to break it all down. Can’t thank you enough.

The Baja designs behind the grille kit is ok. I feel like their instructions need to be revised before sending out to customers. The one that threw me the most was saying there was a 10mm bolt that needed to be removed in order to remove the factory grille. I looked forever and it turns out the bolt is 8mm. Their pics leave a bit to be desired as well. Anyhow, the trim between the grille and the bumper was a major PITA to remove. You gotta yank the crap out of it. I ended up slicing my finger open pretty good, wear gloves and save your hands at that point.
Re-installing the grille, trim piece, all fasteners, putting the battery back in and wrapping up the wiring probably took 45 minutes. The rest of the install took me all day HA.
Couple pics. Inner most lights in the fog area are controlled my fog switch in the cab.
The lights look great! It sucks you injured your hand, though. I'm sorry to hear that it gave you that much trouble, but I'm glad the Facetime chat at least helped some.

Thank you so much for allowing us to earn your business!
We truly appreciate it!

Happy Holidays!

~Sidney @ SPV Parts

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You think the grille hinders light output at all? That’s my only concern with the behind the grille setup. (Other than dealing with that grille)

OP
OP
cdiddy4224

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You think the grille hinders light output at all? That’s my only concern with the behind the grille setup. (Other than dealing with that grille)
It does a small amount and I figured as much before buying these. I tested down a dark street with no other ambient lighting and they’re plenty bright for my needs.

D1ESEL

Reaction score
I installed the Pro Version on my truck. I have to day I was disappointed with the overall light output compared to my Linkable XL's on my Super Duty.

I have decided to add some XL's to the A-Pillars to help with some more output directly forward.

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I installed the Pro Version on my truck. I have to day I was disappointed with the overall light output compared to my Linkable XL's on my Super Duty.

I have decided to add some XL's to the A-Pillars to help with some more output directly forward.
Let us know if you need/want any assistance with ordering your XL A-Pillar Lights.
We would be happy to help in any way possible!

~Sidney @ SPV Parts
(317) 934-6778