Baja Designs Behind Grill Kit - Larger Lights than Squadrons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I snipped this photo from a YouTube video of the Baja Designs behind grill 6x Squadron kit being installed on a Gen 3 Raptor. I see there are four grill louvers removed and the light brackets are attached in the 2nd and 3rd holes up from the bottom... this centers the BD Squadron lights roughly in the center between the bottom of the grill and the bottom of the FORD letters in the grill. I'm wondering if the brackets can be installed in the bottom 1st and 2nd positions to allow for a taller light than the BD Squadrons. I'm thinking something like a Diode Dynamics SS5 or Morimoto BigBanger, both are ~5" lights versus the ~3" of the Squadrons.

1682954847584.png

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you went larger the ford letters and/or bottom part of the grill would block the lens unfortunately. I spent months thinking about this trying to make a solution with high output work. I ended up not doing behind the grill.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want bigger lights and more output, don't stick the lights behind the grill. Do a bumper mount with LP4's or XL80's. Grill is just an obstruction

OP
OP
BAJASVT

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you went larger the ford letters and/or bottom part of the grill would block the lens unfortunately. I spent months thinking about this trying to make a solution with high output work. I ended up not doing behind the grill.
Thanks. I think I may go with the BD brackets and use some Diode Dynamics SS3 Max lights; I believe their Max version is new and ranks higher than the Sport and Pro version - it uses the new Sylvania Osram HSB LEDs. Nothing mind blowing, but they should provide more output than the Squadron Pros... closer to a BD XL80.

Last edited:

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I think I may go with the BD brackets and use some Diode Dynamics SS3 Max lights; I believe their Max version is new ranks higher than the Sport and Pro version - it uses the new Sylvania Osram HSB LEDs. Nothing mind blowing, but they should provide more output than the Squadron Pros... closer to a BD XL80.
I was wanting to do the exact setup with SS3 Max. John with Specialty Performance was going to test fit DD on the BD kit to see if it works.

Can you buy the bracket only from BD?

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It looks like there’s plenty of room for SS3’s
It does look like they will fit. Though I don't think using their competitors bracket for them is fair, since they don't technically sell them separately. We just allow people the flexibility of using different model Squadron Lights/Patterns. Such as when people want one Amber pair.

That said, if you would like us to offer a similar mount to allow you to mount other lights universally, Such as Diode, we can probably accommodate you.
If you want a mount for Diode/Rigid, shoot us an email @ info @spvparts.com

John

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I snipped this photo from a YouTube video of the Baja Designs behind grill 6x Squadron kit being installed on a Gen 3 Raptor. I see there are four grill louvers removed and the light brackets are attached in the 2nd and 3rd holes up from the bottom... this centers the BD Squadron lights roughly in the center between the bottom of the grill and the bottom of the FORD letters in the grill. I'm wondering if the brackets can be installed in the bottom 1st and 2nd positions to allow for a taller light than the BD Squadrons. I'm thinking something like a Diode Dynamics SS5 or Morimoto BigBanger, both are ~5" lights versus the ~3" of the Squadrons.

View attachment 405295

You'd just need to remove some additional louvers is all. Although you cannot buy Baja Designs brackets alone (for this specific reason) BUT if you have an existing kit you want to move the Squadron lights to someplace else and put SS5 in here... you'd just need to remove some more louvers is my bet.

We've got plenty of SS5 in stock here at 4x4TruckLEDs.com if you need some.

The only issue you might run into are the 2 center lights. Because the lights are bigger you might need to off-set each light (luckily the Diode brackets have a slot in them so you can slide the lights around).

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

View attachment 405295
Just for clarification, "fitment" isn't the issue. It's not about removing additional louvers or managing to get bigger lights to fit into that space. There is an actual purpose for the grille and the placement of the radiator behind it. That purpose is a VERY important one...cooling.

If you remove louvers and completely fill/block off the grille area, you are going to block the radiator and prevent cooling to your truck. Then, you very likely can wind up with issues that could void your warranty in the long run.
So, I'm basically just making sure to respond to this, now that it has been brought to my attention, in order to prevent any dangerous suggestions from causing permanent damage to anyone's trucks. That airflow is very important. If you squeeze those larger lights in there and impede the airflow, it could ultimately cost you a lot more than the lights themselves.

If you ever have any wiring or install questions, please let us know via DM, call, text, or email because we will never skate around the truth.
Just because something is theoretically feasible, doesn't mean it makes sense or is a safe idea.

I hope this helps and can assist you with your decision on your lighting in that area. If you have any other questions, I would be happy to help in any way possible.

Thanks!
Sidney @ SPV Parts
[email protected]