GEN 2 Baja Designs amber driving combo squads vs amber wide cornering squads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Palmetto_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Baja Designs Unlimited fog light kit that comes with white S2 Pros in wide cornering, white Squad Pros in driving combo. and white Squad Racer spots. The S2 Pros are one switch and the Squad Pros and Squad Racers are on a 2nd switch.

The Squad Pro driving combo and Squad Racers together are so bright that the reflections bouncing back from street signs 150 yards away can look like someone coming at you with their hi-beams on.

I got to thinking about what the lights would look like in a heavy snow and I bet the reflection off the snow would be pretty severe.

So I'm thinking about putting my Squad Pros on a separate switch and changing the lens on the Squad Pros to an amber lens. But should I go with amber driving combo or wide cornering? I've seen posts in forums where people say the amber wide cornering are better because you get less reflection back from heavy snow or rain.

What's the forums thoughts on this?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It looks like you already pulled the trigger on this :) I know this is a topic from earlier but here is my take in case others are in the same boat as you.

I actually run Squadron Pro Wide Cornering Ambers for that exact reason... snow/rain. The white light doesn't help in snow/rain, it bounces around. Ambers do a lot better in those conditions.

One tip for ya... make sure you aim the pros down a bit. They are going to be bright so keep them aimed down low. I like to point my truck at a wall and turn the headlights on, then aim your squadron pro wide cornerings below the headlight cut-off to ensure you don't blind people.

With the harness you ordered you'll be able to control all 3 lights from 3 different upfitters which will be nice for ya.

As I mentioned, Wide Cornering is the way to go. The Driving/Combo are great IF they are a secondary light OR you only plan to ever use them without other vehicles on the road. But the spot portion of the driving/combos would mean you blind other drivers. So the wide cornering is a good choice for the bad weather light.

GR8Ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like you already pulled the trigger on this :) I know this is a topic from earlier but here is my take in case others are in the same boat as you.

I actually run Squadron Pro Wide Cornering Ambers for that exact reason... snow/rain. The white light doesn't help in snow/rain, it bounces around. Ambers do a lot better in those conditions.

One tip for ya... make sure you aim the pros down a bit. They are going to be bright so keep them aimed down low. I like to point my truck at a wall and turn the headlights on, then aim your squadron pro wide cornerings below the headlight cut-off to ensure you don't blind people.

With the harness you ordered you'll be able to control all 3 lights from 3 different upfitters which will be nice for ya.

As I mentioned, Wide Cornering is the way to go. The Driving/Combo are great IF they are a secondary light OR you only plan to ever use them without other vehicles on the road. But the spot portion of the driving/combos would mean you blind other drivers. So the wide cornering is a good choice for the bad weather light.
So glad this was brought up. Been trying to figure out what my light set up will be. I know I want something that lights up the sides of the road as I travel through deer country everyday. Other than that I was unsure as I really won’t be going off road. Until tonight... we have blizzard conditions with high winds and I need something to brighten the road but my brights make things worse.
Please tell me what my set up should be.
Thanks!

HAPPILY EVER RAPTOR

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here is my new favorite GO TO setup for folks who live where it snows. This is what I plan on doing on our demo truck

Squadron SAE Wide Cornering - Great for your everyday use light
Squadron SAE Wide Cornering, Amber - Great for the snow/rain
Squadron Pro Driving/Combo - Just lights up everything else, good for those back roads.

The Squadron SAE won't put out as much light as a Pro, and I have Squadron Pro Wide Cornerings now in Amber. BUT im going to the SAE to keep things legal AND because i want to aim them up more. With Pro wide cornerings you have to aim them down more. There is some light scatter of course so that's why I say aim them down a bit more. With SAE, less scatter because it's actually more focused. That means I can raise them up right below my headlights to give me better coverage, with less light.

The Driving/Combos are great when you turn your high beams on. SURE technically not "legal" but i mean if you're on a back road alone, you wanna see. Heck I was in PA this weekend at the Raptor Takeover event and had my LP9s on when I was driving through the back roads at night. REALLY helped see the winding roads.

You can actually grab the setup I recommended above as a full kit here from us. Includes everything ya need: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/2017-ford-raptor-triple-fog-light-kit-w-baja-designs-lights/

GR8Ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my new favorite GO TO setup for folks who live where it snows. This is what I plan on doing on our demo truck

Squadron Pro Driving/Combo - Just lights up everything else, good for those back roads.

The Squadron SAE won't put out as much light as a Pro, and I have Squadron Pro Wide Cornerings now in Amber. BUT im going to the SAE to keep things legal AND because i want to aim them up more. With Pro wide cornerings you have to aim them down more. There is some light scatter of course so that's why I say aim them down a bit more. With SAE, less scatter because it's actually more focused. That means I can raise them up right below my headlights to give me better coverage, with less light.

The Driving/Combos are great when you turn your high beams on. SURE technically not "legal" but i mean if you're on a back road alone, you wanna see. Heck I was in PA this weekend at the Raptor Takeover event and had my LP9s on when I was driving through the back roads at night. REALLY helped see the winding roads.

You can actually grab the setup I recommended above as a full kit here from us. Includes everything ya need: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/2017-ford-raptor-triple-fog-light-kit-w-baja-designs-lights/
Sounds good! What position would the lights be in? Also, can you pm me a price?
Thanks!

HAPPILY EVER RAPTOR

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Whatever position you want. Down there it doesn't really matter the order. They'll all get equal coverage. I tend to like ambers on the inside or outside. That's just an OCD thing with how it looks on the truck is all.

RipReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my $.02 (from a guy who has 3 pair of Squadrons up front mounted in '18 Raptor Fog light portals):
1. While I started with spots in the inner-most position, I found they were too close to the ground to really get out there (on the road, as opposed to in oncoming traffic's eyes), so I switched those to driving combo. This way, any overlap/blockage (of the wide cornering lenses) won't be as pronounced. Not street legal, but love the wide and far coverage.
2. I run Squadron wide cornering (Amber) and Squadron wide cornering (white) in the middle and outer positions. They serve different purposes. Since we don't get much snow in DFW, I'll reserve judgment until next month's trip to Colorado on efficacy of Amber. But they make a big difference in eye strain and being able to see details (as compared to whites) for the better. The white WC is nice for (mere) night driving without inclement weather to really brighten up the periphery.
3. I've run this set up out in the hill country (active deer at night) and it makes a pronounced improvement in road side visibility over OEM headlights (and obviously puts a ton more light down the road). Just have to remember to turn them off for on-coming traffic (the police really don't like them.).

Whatever you decide, it's going to leave you thinking the OEM headlights are pale.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score

I really want to order these lights as I've been bouncing back and forth on the setup, however I like this layout.

Only problem is my truck is in the shop as of last night for the oil consumption test and I need it to prove itself worthy prior to sinking a lot more money into it.

On the sidelines for now but as soon as they get this issue corrected I getting this setup, some S1 reverse lights, and maybe a grill light if I can get to work without blocking the forward camera and a FMIC.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here's my $.02 (from a guy who has 3 pair of Squadrons up front mounted in '18 Raptor Fog light portals):
1. While I started with spots in the inner-most position, I found they were too close to the ground to really get out there (on the road, as opposed to in oncoming traffic's eyes), so I switched those to driving combo. This way, any overlap/blockage (of the wide cornering lenses) won't be as pronounced. Not street legal, but love the wide and far coverage.
2. I run Squadron wide cornering (Amber) and Squadron wide cornering (white) in the middle and outer positions. They serve different purposes. Since we don't get much snow in DFW, I'll reserve judgment until next month's trip to Colorado on efficacy of Amber. But they make a big difference in eye strain and being able to see details (as compared to whites) for the better. The white WC is nice for (mere) night driving without inclement weather to really brighten up the periphery.
3. I've run this set up out in the hill country (active deer at night) and it makes a pronounced improvement in road side visibility over OEM headlights (and obviously puts a ton more light down the road). Just have to remember to turn them off for on-coming traffic (the police really don't like them.).

Whatever you decide, it's going to leave you thinking the OEM headlights are pale.

Why didn't you just aim your spots up so they were not shooting at the ground?? Or are you talking where they would eventually hit a curve in the road? Which would make sense. That's why spots on the pillars are great. You're up high near your eye line so you can get over bumps in the road.

I'm a fan of Driving/Combos for lighting "everything" up

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I really want to order these lights as I've been bouncing back and forth on the setup, however I like this layout.

Only problem is my truck is in the shop as of last night for the oil consumption test and I need it to prove itself worthy prior to sinking a lot more money into it.

On the sidelines for now but as soon as they get this issue corrected I getting this setup, some S1 reverse lights, and maybe a grill light if I can get to work without blocking the forward camera and a FMIC.

The 30" S8 Grille does not block the camera... it gets mounted behind the grille so you're good to go there.

And we have plenty of stock on fogs (of any combination you choose) , reverse kits, grille kits (30" S8 and 10" OnX6 in stock) as well as a good amount of stock on S1 as well (so you can pick if you want S2 or S1).