Baja Design S1 vs S2 Pro?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RandyK64

Reaction score
Has any compared the BD S1 to the S2 Pro? I'm particularly looking for a comparison of the wide cornering beam pattern. Both lights have similar lumen ratings. It seems the S1 has a larger reflector so I'm assuming it has farther throw than the S2 with the two smaller ones.

If you were to choose between the two for the outer most location in the triple pocket kits which one would you choose? Amber would be my color of choice.

Now how about these compared to the SAE wide cornering?

I wish there was a place to compare them all.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The S1's in the wide cornering beam pattern throw a bright and definitely wide pattern. For the triple fog light kits using say our optimized bracket, we like the S1. It's slightly more compact design just seems to fit a bit better. Our bracket can absolutely handle three sets of Squadrons or two sets and a pair of the S2's. But the overall look of the S1 appeals to us.

Here's the S1 reverse kit (we realize its the reverse kit, but it gives you a good idea of what to expect) in wide cornering beam:

ywdbJ35.jpg

VgpY7yE.jpg

wYD0ASO.jpg

And here's our optimized bracket with two pairs of Squadrons and a set of S1's in amber wide cornering:

5PAKlkx.jpg

Let us know if we can help!

Phone 888-466-8991

Web OFFROADALLIANCE.COM

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Has any compared the BD S1 to the S2 Pro? I'm particularly looking for a comparison of the wide cornering beam pattern. Both lights have similar lumen ratings. It seems the S1 has a larger reflector so I'm assuming it has farther throw than the S2 with the two smaller ones.

If you were to choose between the two for the outer most location in the triple pocket kits which one would you choose? Amber would be my color of choice.

Now how about these compared to the SAE wide cornering?

I wish there was a place to compare them all.

It's funny you ask... we're in the process of wrapping up our "shootout". We'll post the results up tomorrow. BUT for the time being here is one we did a few months ago on the Squadrons and S2s. We'll be doing something similar against our alignment wall so you can see the brightness (we measure actual lux with a meter) and patterns. We'll be adding in the S1, XL80, LP4, LP6, LP9 in our results since they came out after we did these photos:

S2 Sport WC
https://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-auxiliary-lights/baja-designs/s2-sport/
upload_2020-1-30_20-19-36.png

S2 Pro WC
https://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-auxiliary-lights/baja-designs/s2-pro/
upload_2020-1-30_20-19-24.png

Squadron Sport WC
https://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-driving-fog-lights/baja-designs/squadron-sport/
upload_2020-1-30_20-19-46.png

Squadron Pro WC
https://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-driving-fog-lights/baja-designs/squadron-pro/
upload_2020-1-30_20-19-53.png

Squadron SAE WC
https://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-auxiliary-lights/baja-designs/squadron-sae/
upload_2020-1-30_20-20-5.png

OP
OP
R

RandyK64

Reaction score
So besides the S1s looking nicer in the outer location, which beam and output do you prefer between the S1 amber WC vs S2 Pro amber WC?

Before my truck got smashed I had the S2 wide cornering but I agree the S1 looks really good.

I originally planned to go the 3 squadrons but I'm thinking they might look to crowded. My old set up was S2 pro WC, Squadron Pro WC amber and Squadron Pro Combo white.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So besides the S1s looking nicer in the outer location, which beam and output do you prefer between the S1 amber WC vs S2 Pro amber WC?

Before my truck got smashed I had the S2 wide cornering but I agree the S1 looks really good.

I originally planned to go the 3 squadrons but I'm thinking they might look to crowded. My old set up was S2 pro WC, Squadron Pro WC amber and Squadron Pro Combo white.

The beam pattern of the S1 and S2 wide cornering are very similar. Both are going to do a very good job of casting a wide beam of light for as compact as they are.

And as far as three full size lights goes, they fit great and with an awesome bracket like our optimized bracket, that one that we released back in October. Our bracket offers a ton of adjustability to ensure no lights are blocked! Here’s a few pictures for reference:

7C3D1DD8-11A2-497F-874E-9C0CBB2D9504.jpeg

EEEBBFA5-E625-4927-A089-45E4B3F6FE04.jpeg

Raptorrunner2019

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7DB9DD7C-2ED7-44DA-8797-D3C8AF0F3527.jpeg I used the Amber s1 per recommendation of FordRaptorLights/ Offroad Alliance. I am extremely glad I went that route. Much light output and actually usable for road driving. It is also great for actual fog, which we have had a lot of lately. Looks great with the bezel set-up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RandyK64

Reaction score
I actually just got the ok from the body shop to order the lights and they will reimburse me from the insurance claim. My truck spends most time on road but I keep reading mixed reviews on the BD SAEs. Which option would you guys choose?

Option 1:
Squadron Pro Spots
Squadron Pro Wide Cornering
Squadron SAE - Amber

Option 2:
Squadron Pro Spots
Squadron Pro Wide Cornering
S1 Wide Cornering - Amber

My original thought was Option 1 but I saw this picture and Im really digging the look of the S1.
Help me choose.
0C1AD856-B4F5-4BD5-9489-9C1AD996ECA8.jpeg

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The S1 would work great just make sure you keep it aimed down a bit if you plan to run it all the time (as your regular fog light). It's similar in output to an S2 Pro (which is what I run on my truck).

Our CrystaLux Triple Fog Light Brackets offer the most adjustments out of any bracket on the market (and made right here on Long Island out of stainless steel and powder coated black). So you can fit pretty much ANY combination of lights you want.

From 3 S1 sets to 3 Squadron Sets. In fact, you can probably squeeze 4-5 S1 in our bracket actually since they are so small.

Check out our kits here:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/2017-ford-raptor-triple-fog-light-kit-w-baja-designs-lights/

OP
OP
R

RandyK64

Reaction score
Hey Adam (4x4TruckLEDs). I ordered my original set from you like 6 months ago. I also sent you an email the other day about a replacement. Once I figure out what I want I'll make my order.

Not taking other driver in consideration would you prefer the S1 WC amber or SAE Ambers? I thought maybe the SAE would make for better actual fog lights since it has a sharper cut off.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So right now I run the following:

S2 Pro WC (my daily driver light)
Squadron Pro Driving/Combo
Squadron Pro WC Amber

I use the Pro WC Ambers when it snows and S2 Pro every night.

With our new brackets out i'm actually going with the following setup this weekend:

Squadron SAE WC
Squadron SAE WC Amber
Squadron Pro Driving/Combo

This way I keep things street legal and I can aim the lights up. My s2 pro are aimed down a bit right now to help with the glare. But with the Squadron SAE I can now aim them up a bit and have my cut-off right below my headlights.

So I'd say if you want to go with something for street use you should do the SAEs BUT if you don't mind aiming your S1/S2 down a bit, you can go with an S1/S2 Sport or S2 Pro in WC. Just make sure you align them so that they don't throw glare above your headlights.

Not sure if that helps BUT it's some advice.

I like the look of 3 squadrons personally. Some folks like a tiny light. We sell more S2s for the 3rd light then we do any other combination, and for good reason although lately we're selling a LOT of SAE lights. Usually the exact setup I'm planning to do (at least in areas that get snow).

So if you don't care about others OR you WILL aim them down a bit... the S1 work great if you like that tiny light OR the S2 Pros in WC fit nicely with the opening look (tapers down a bit into that smaller S2 housing).