GEN 2 Bad smell in AC system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okegg0

Reaction score
Mine has started smelling like this over the last month and didnt know what caused it... Following on how to fix it. I live in North Dakota.

Magzx12r

Reaction score
I have the same issue when the a/c first turns on. Replacing the cabin air filter didn’t help. Never had this issue with my other vehicles. I live near Houston and rarely run a/c on recirc.

Raptor-Dave

Reaction score
Buy a bottle of Lysol, keep it in the truck. When ever it starts to smell turn the ac on high. Turn the recalculation off. Spray the Lysol into the vents between the hood and the windshield. Repeat as needed. This is cheap fix and works pretty well. Changing the filter doesn't seem to do anything.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spraying Lysol into the A/C Intakes with Recirc off helps. You have to use enough to wet the inside of the A/C ducts and drip pan. After you soak it with Lysol put the A/C on Recir and shut it off for at least 30 minutes to let Lysol kill the mold and mildew, better to let it sit overnight. If you leave A/C on, new condensation will rinse off the Lysol before it can work. I do this on my home A/C when I change the filters every 3 months. I spray 1/2 can into the intakes for each home A/C system. You have a choice of Lysol Original, Powder Room, or Lavender scent. ;)

When I lived in Hawaii the mold problem with A/C's was bad. Pink Slime would clog condensate drains then it becomes a BIG problem! The more humid your climate the worse it is. Not as bad here in Las Vegas. Lysol every 3 months is good PM. For best results, remove the Cabin Air Filter before spraying the Lysol.

You can get a 4 pack of Lysol at Costco or Sams. There is also Commercial Strength AC coil and drain cleaner available at your local HVAC Shop but you are supposed to spray that directly on the coil fins and into drain pan.

The only thing that will prevent the mold for a longer time is an Anti-Microbial coating inside the entire A/C system, coil fins, & drain pan. Some car and HVAC manufactures are doing this now.

Aloha, HT

Cliffster

Reaction score
I don't know if there is an easy way to get to the condensate pan.If so there are condensate pan pills available that we use in residential and commercial a/c units that prevent mold and smells and last 6 to 8 months.There about the size of a dime. If anyone knows how to get it in there there easy to buy online.

OP
OP
Edbert

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to update...
When I left work I checked and my truck has been on fresh (not recirculate) for a while, maybe forever since I never really paid attention, I just adjusted the temp via automatic. In other words, being on fresh will not resolve the problem, at least in the 100+ degree days with 55-75% humidity.

But then I got to thinking (uh oh!)...
Having the AC on is a form of dehumidifier. My nest thermostat can run the AC to reduce the humidity in the house, and if you turn on the windshield defogger it kicks in the compressor even with the heat on. With that...why wouldn't having the AC blasting with recirculation ON would it not seriously reduce the humidity inside the cab in a 45 minute drive?

My guess is yes it does reduce humidity while running, but the coldness of the internal components is so high (low?) that it overcompensates for the cabin air being dried, and sitting there overnight allows time for moisture to seep in and collect.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2017 with 5k miles on it. Smelled that mildew smell the first day. I bought a Carbonized cabin air filter and solved the issue IMMEDIATELY. As I took the truck in for service a few k later, they changed the cabin filter to a standard ford filter. Mildew smell came back 5k later. Just replaced the cabin filter with another carbonized filter and went away immediately. No brainer. Buy a carbonized cabin air filter.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carbonized Cabin Filter takes the smell out vs killing the mold and mildew but yes it works. Does Ford make Carbonized Cabin Air Filter for Raptors or who? How much? A link would be great!

Mahalo, HT

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This would be a deal breaker for me. Dealer doesn’t want to cover under warranty? I would sell and move on. Mold and mildew issues in a new vehicle... no way.

Schizofilly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ozone generator. Take out ANY smell. Got rid of smoke smell from a truck a buddy had and smoked in for 6 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk