GEN 2 Bad smell in AC system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo95max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mold/mildew AC issues is very common across all manufactures.

Cabin air filters is usually not the cause of the issue so in my opinion its a waste of money. We use Frigi fresh at our shop. Works great for customers, but proper maintenance is key. Make sure drain tube isnt clogged, Turn AC off for a few minutes, run some heat with your AC on. I've found with all or any of these steps will help greatly to reduce or eliminate mold mildew issue. I've been doing these steps for 20+ years never had an AC problem. My parents don't, and at some point every single car they've owned had mold/mildew issues.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Common Ford issue. I have tried the "shut off AC for a mile or so" trick on the way home, but it doesn't do much good here in SC when the outside air has 75%+ humidity. Mine got really bad last week, so I ran it for a few miles with the fan on high/no AC, then sprayed citrus scented Lysol in the exterior intake vents while the truck sat with the fan going full speed and AC off. Has helped a good bit so far. I have a service coming up shortly and will get cabin filter changed then/have them look into drain lines, etc.

roostinyfz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open the windows and turn off the recirc when you fart.

I tried this method many times. Still doesn’t help with the terrible mold smell! Seriously though in the last week my truck reeks of mold all of a sudden. Didn’t have an issue on my last raptor.

GMike

Reaction score
I had this occur and I think parking outside contributed.
I got rid of it by setting recirculate to off and spraying Lysol into the fresh air vents in front of the windshield with the a/c running.

Rcnfan3117

Reaction score
It is mold and algae build up inside the evaporator. If you always run the air on recirculate mode and never run it on fresh mode it will accelerate the issue depending on where you live. It is also recommended to switch it to fresh mode before you cut the vehicle off. There are multiple maintenance services that clean the evaporator and internal portion of a/c vents to eliminate the odor.

FloonDog

Reaction score
I had the same issue. Had to replace 2 filters. One is a pollen filter I believe. That fixed the issue. Truck < year old.

Robbh

Reaction score
I complained about it to my dealership and they told me that they can do an evaporator cleaning where they shoot cleaner into the evaporator,,,, He said it is not covered under the warranty and it was like $250.00. I didn't do it cause I figure it would be less expensive NOT at a dealership.

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After removing the cabin filter you can run a ozone generator inside the cab for about an hour with the air on recirculate. I hear it works well.

OP
OP
Edbert

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I checked under the truck when I got home (parked on slight incline) and water was already visible underneath. So this is not a clogged drain.

I asked my son's friend if they see a lot of trucks come in with this complaint and he said "all the time", cars too. Asked what do they do at the dealership and he said they fog the system with a disinfectant and deodorizer while running without the compressor, then recommend not using re-circulation settings during the humid days.

I'll put the cabin filter in anyway on Saturday and report if that (alone) helps or not.