Bad Luck with my Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJT221

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up my Gen 3 few weeks ago (great MSRP dealership so none of this am I blaming them). Drove home little over 400 miles from the dealer and noticed harsh shifts, wheel spin trying to get going from a stop,etc. once I got close to home.

Eventually got system shift fault errors and it ended up needing to be towed to a dealer and it was the dreaded transmission cooler connection which was loose so all my trans fluid leaked out. Only 500 miles on the odometer total,but it was replaced and fixed.

I also have the dreaded "clunk" which isn't really the noise which is annoying but the pedals shake a lot over bumps, the floorboard seems like it will fall apart and seem to have a slight vibration at all times in pedals. Like many, many people have posted in clunk thread it just doesn't feel solid. I need to make an appt soon to get this looked at

Very minor detail my tailpipes are also not level lol.20220518_191828.jpgScreenshot_20220501-194246_FordPass.jpg
Really hoping for that fix from Ford regarding the pedal shake and floorboard feeling because not sure if long term I'd keep the truck with that feeling.

Last edited:

KRGKen

Reaction score
Well if you sell it you will sure have a buyer and make money since everyone is selling the used ones for more than new and you only paid MSRP good for you

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your truck have a harder shift between 2-3 or 3-4? My truck is doing it as well and just starting getting the noise from the suspension today

OP
OP
A

AJT221

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your truck have a harder shift between 2-3 or 3-4? My truck is doing it as well and just starting getting the noise from the suspension today
Mine was definitely harsh shift somewhere between 1-3, almost felt like it was skipping 2 and jumping from 1 to 3 because I would get rpm rev, wheel spin then a jerk/jolt then the truck would go. This again wasn't an actual transmission misfire, just lack of fluid from the leak so everything wasn't acting right. I got errors in the truck and FordPass that I posted after I got home and tried to drive the truck again. It would initially move the shifter automatically from reverse straight back to park and give me that fault message.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I picked up my Gen 3 few weeks ago (great MSRP dealership so none of this am I blaming them). Drove home little over 400 miles from the dealer and noticed harsh shifts, wheel spin trying to get going from a stop,etc. once I got close to home.

Eventually got system shift fault errors and it ended up needing to be towed to a dealer and it was the dreaded transmission cooler connection which was loose so all my trans fluid leaked out. Only 500 miles on the odometer total,but it was replaced and fixed.

I also have the dreaded "clunk" which isn't really the noise which is annoying but the pedals shake a lot over bumps, the floorboard seems like it will fall apart and seem to have a slight vibration at all times in pedals. Like many, many people have posted in clunk thread it just doesn't feel solid. I need to make an appt soon to get this looked at

Very minor detail my tailpipes are also not level lol.View attachment 355175View attachment 355176
Really hoping for that fix from Ford regarding the pedal shake and floorboard feeling because not sure if long term I'd keep the truck with that feeling.
I actually would put some blame on the tech that did the PDI, its well knnown about the tranny fittings, etc, don't think these dealers are even doing proper inspections on these new vehicles or the techs are clueless.

OP
OP
A

AJT221

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually would put some blame on the tech that did the PDI, its well knnown about the tranny fittings, etc, don't think these dealers are even doing proper inspections on these new vehicles or the techs are clueless.
Could be something during PDI, they were all so pleasant I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe it happened during my drive or maybe simply missed.

This dealership was out of state for me, and I told my salesman I would fly in and drive the truck back. The airport was 45 mins from the dealer and the salesman asked for my flight info so he could personally come pick me up at the airport and drive me to the dealership. Then when I got home and had these issues, it was a Sunday so dealer was closed but the saleman texted me all day trying to help then escalated to his service manager who on Sunday, called me to talk about the issues. They offered to pay for rental cars for me, cost of tow to a dealer if ford roadside didn't cover it. He called the dealership I eventually got towed to and spoke with their service team to be in the loop and see if he could help with parts if needed, etc.

The salesman and service manager called me everyday until the transmission issue was resolved and just felt like they truly cared. First purchase ever with them, and at MSRP. They played no games, took no deposit just a signed purchase order. These things happen and I'm not mad just stinks to have had the transmission issue right away, then have the clunk which does take away from what I can see being an amazing truck to drive. Tough to love it as much when every bump makes the floorboard rattle and shake as if the entire front end is loose.

Sorry for that long response but just wanted to share some good dealers definitely out there, even if rare and you can just end up drawing the short end of the stick sometimes on the product. I hope they can address the clunk issue for all who have it and then it will be an amazing truck to have.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could be something during PDI, they were all so pleasant I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe it happened during my drive or maybe simply missed.

This dealership was out of state for me, and I told my salesman I would fly in and drive the truck back. The airport was 45 mins from the dealer and the salesman asked for my flight info so he could personally come pick me up at the airport and drive me to the dealership. Then when I got home and had these issues, it was a Sunday so dealer was closed but the saleman texted me all day trying to help then escalated to his service manager who on Sunday, called me to talk about the issues. They offered to pay for rental cars for me, cost of tow to a dealer if ford roadside didn't cover it. He called the dealership I eventually got towed to and spoke with their service team to be in the loop and see if he could help with parts if needed, etc.

The salesman and service manager called me everyday until the transmission issue was resolved and just felt like they truly cared. First purchase ever with them, and at MSRP. They played no games, took no deposit just a signed purchase order. These things happen and I'm not mad just stinks to have had the transmission issue right away, then have the clunk which does take away from what I can see being an amazing truck to drive. Tough to love it as much when every bump makes the floorboard rattle and shake as if the entire front end is loose.

Sorry for that long response but just wanted to share some good dealers definitely out there, even if rare and you can just end up drawing the short end of the stick sometimes on the product. I hope they can address the clunk issue for all who have it and then it will be an amazing truck to have.
I hear ya, sounds like a really good sales experience and I'm not trying to say they suck or anything, but techs these days are not the same as years ago, but then Ford shouldn't have loose fittings from the factory either. I'm glad they called you constantly, that's the way it should be and most don't get this good of an experience.

csr18

Reaction score
I’m a little over 1000 miles in my 22 37 package and have the same issue with the pedal vibrations, steering wheel too. And the floorboard not feeling solid at all. It’s pretty annoying, especially coming from a 21 35 package that was perfect lol.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Myself included wanted to truck ASAP after it arrived. PDI doesn't take that long if a knowledgeable tech does it. This all comes from Ford rushing and not only eliminating features but loosening quality control.

"A fix is coming soon" is a fancy way of saying we will get to it when we can. Ford is trying to recoup all investments and cancel partnerships to patch the bullet wound with a bandaid.

TurboM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue with the suspension clunking and pedal vibration. Super annoying and makes the truck feel like shit, tbh. I occasionally check the super long thread about it to see if a fix has been identified but haven't looked in a while as it always takes a while to catch up. Anyone know if a root cause or fix has been identified yet?