Backup Key Slot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1phatstang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked high and low for the slot where you manually insert the key blade to start the vehicle in case the batteries are dead on your intelligent access FOB. As per the owner's manual, it is NOT under the rubber mat in the compartment in front of the floor shifter. It is not under the cup holders. It is not in the console. Any help?

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked high and low for the slot where you manually insert the key blade to start the vehicle in case the batteries are dead on your intelligent access FOB. As per the owner's manual, it is NOT under the rubber mat in the compartment in front of the floor shifter. It is not under the cup holders. It is not in the console. Any help?

I didn't think there was one? I thought the backup key was just for the door?

The pocket below the mat in the cup holder is for programming an extra key.

OP
OP
1phatstang

1phatstang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't think there was one? I thought the backup key was just for the door?

The pocket below the mat in the cup holder is for programming an extra key.

Check page 170 of the 2017 F150 owner's manual. There has to be a slot for the key in case the batteries in the FOB are completely dead, because in that case the vehicle will not recognize that the FOB is present.

Also, the key blade will unlock the driver's door, and will lock the console and the glove compartment.

Last edited:

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check page 170 of the 2017 F150 owner's manual. There has to be a slot for the key in case the batteries in the FOB are completely dead, because in that case the vehicle will not recognize that the FOB is present.

Interesting. You got me thinking. I left the FOB in the house and unlocked the door using the emergency key. Get a notification in the dash to start the truck or the alarm will sound. Push button would not start the truck. Alarm sounded. Had to run in and grab the FOB to turn the alarm off.

Looks like there has to be a way to use the key to start the car.

Hoping someone finds out how.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

Found this video. Not about the F150, but our trucks likely work the same way.

Maybe when the FOB is in the slot below the cup holder, even with a dead battery, the truck will start? Looks that way in the video. Maybe take the batteries out of the FOB, put it in the slot and see if the truck starts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ur1qsePu3E

Reaction score
If it's anything like Volkswagen's key, you simply hold the FOB with the dead battery close to the start button. It's RFID. No power required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In my old explorer and mustang there was a pocket in the console to put the key when dead and it would start. I'm just not sure where that is in the truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1phatstang

1phatstang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a cavity under the front cup holder big enough to hold the FOB. Gonna try it tomorrow. Just wish Ford would update their owner's manual so it was friggin' correct. THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just looked around in my truck and I would bet it's the spot under the cup holder.

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

Ballistic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think the key that pops out of the fob would not have a chip in it to bypass anti theft security due to the size..

If it's anything like Volkswagen's key, you simply hold the FOB with the dead battery close to the start button. It's RFID. No power required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This sounds more realistic. I install and manage Access Control Systems at work with RFID Fobs, usually within 1-6" from the reader.