Backup Camera or Lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need some opinions. I have tinted windows and its really hard to see when backing up at night unless i roll down the windows. I was thinking one of two options or maybe both. First option would be to get a back up camera. I'm not a huge fan of them and not sure if they'll give me enough visibility. I'm not looking to be able to stay in the lines, i just want to be able to see whats behind my truck. The other option is to put some S2's in the bumper and just flood the back with light. Thats quite a bit more expensive, but a lot more sexy of an option. The only issue i can see is if i go to a pre runner bumper in the future, i don't think the lights will transfer and will they put out enough light to make a difference when looking through tinted window? thoughts?

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
A good camera will give you a clear view of what's behind you and that's what you're asking for. Lights may not give you a good view thru the tinted windows, would cost more and ties you to your bumper and shoots down the future pre runner. Day or night I rely on my camera!

castine917

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 Raptors with tint. Rear camera in two of them. I still roll windows down at night to see beside me. Bright lights to the rear still won't show you that boulder hiding behind your tailgate like a camera will. A camera won't show you things it isn't pointed at either. The type of camera and screen you use will determine visibility. Are you considering a in dash, in mirror, or another screen setup?

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tint and it can be a ***** to reverse without rolling the windows down, Doable but difficult. Since I have a camper, I figure why not install Baja Pros on the hitch. I did not feel the need to blind every person while I backup so I have them on an upfitter switch. Huge difference backing up and glad I did them. Plus it is a nice addition to the mirror lights that can turn on while driving. 360 degree lighting. The Baja s2 pros are really bright but worth it in my eyes.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a GEN1, no tinted windows, and was not happy with the amount of light the factory rear backup bulbs produced. (Some Ford engineer needs to go back to school, because replacing the larger, more powerful round bayonet-base bulbs with weaker blade-base bulbs was a very bad idea.) I replaced the factory bulbs with LED lamps and it helped, but it still wasn't enough. These 10W auxiliary lamps were the solution:

I bought two of the 60 degree flood pattern lamps and am completely satisfied.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the factory nav camera in mine and also installed lights in the rear bumper. The rear lights are great for open areas to see around, I don't use them for just backing up to see in normal driving. I think you would get more use out of a rear camera, but make sure it has a large enough screen as just a rear view mirror size isn't enough in my opinion, even my factory nav one is sad but usable. Good luck!

Rollofire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a very expensive truck and your saying s2lights are too much money? Try fixing your truck after you hit something, my motto is buy once cry once just do it. I’m running BD S1 lights under the rear bumpers and have a backup cam also. You won’t regret spending the money it’s cheap insurance …

vetteengr

Reaction score
I concur with the rear camera option. My 2010 original camera was defective and I could barely see anything. My raptor came with dark tinted side windows and rear glass. Replaced the camera with factory oem camera (~$60) and definitely made night and day difference.

Steven_Born

Reaction score
Absolutely camera, but also lights. There are many places you can place the lights to assist, be careful that they don't flood out the camera. If you can place the camera in the tailgate like the factory I would suggest this with lights down low. I agree completely with Rollofire.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed on the camera is a must. I installed rigid reverse lights near plate and it floods out the camera pretty bad, but the camera really doesn't need much light to see, and just use the reverse lights for warning drivers backing up or as a work light.