GEN 1 Backup Camera inop (sometimes)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hh65flyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes my camera doesn't work. I will get the message about taking it to the dealer. Other times I will get a very strange, pixelated screen. Most of the time it works fine though.

I'm still under warranty (2013) so that's where it's ultimately going but I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and what fixed it. I'm concerned that they won't be able to duplicate the problem and I will be stuck with all the hassles at the dealer.

If I can give them some direction on what to check or even fix it myself...great!

AbnMP13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the cover off the inside of the tailgate, trace the wires and clean the connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a camera go out on my previous 2011. The dealer told me it was common for the camera to fail and it was replaced under warranty. Before it completely failed, I had the same symptoms as you.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is connector where the harness comes out of the bottom of the tail gate (which allows you to remove the tailgate). It is located near the spare tire center/drivers side, I would clean this area and see if this helps. GL

OP
OP
hh65flyer

hh65flyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going back to the dealer for a second time on this issue tmrw. They are replacing the camera and harness. I'll report back...

tales_from_the_crimp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything seems to be 100% now...

I'd rather bump old threads than make new ones for those of us that have the same or similar issues

Were they able to diagnose specifically what the problem was? Was it both the camera AND harness or they don't know and replaced both to be done with it?