Backup Camera Dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flatwater17

Reaction score
I am having some issues with my 2011 Backup Cam. It works about one out of every 10 times then I get the message that I attached in the picture. Has anyone experienced this, and If it needs to be replaced does anyone have a link to a good replacement? I’m seeing prices ALL over the place.

Thanks in advance!

3A6B7469-F6D7-44C9-B893-8656911DF102.jpeg

BoostedToy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very similar issue that just started on my ‘13 with the Sync 2. It will occasionally say the rear camera is unavailable and to contact the dealership. I don’t have an answer for the fix yet.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I had an answer for you since I'm now having the same problem, so came to FRF for the answer. Gonna keep searching, but in my case, nothing has changed except this error started popping up. Oh, and I've learned I use my camera a lot more than I thought.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The rear camera on my 14 is intermittent and I'm thinking maybe has something to do with the shifter but that is just a SWAG for now. This needs to become a priority as it won't work at the most inopportune times.

IDI-Charlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any water get in the connector by chance?

Other option I can think of is if you have access to ForScan, you could try recalibrating it. I have to do that with mine every so often.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The rear camera on my 2011 failed in a different way. First the guidelines disappeared, and no matter how many times I reset it, they wouldn't come back. Eventually the camera failed completely. I didn't get a warning screen, it just quit. I had it replaced at the dealership:
- Camera assembly: $478.77
- Ford logo name plate: $42.44
- Labor: $240.00 (I got screwed on the labor)
TOTAL: $761.21

Mc1337sauce

Reaction score
Had the same issue on my 2011 after it got rear-ended, no damage to anything but the rear bumper (not even tailgate) but I assume the impact shock knocked something loose. Replaced camera assembly and nameplate as mentioned above, fixed the issue. The Dorman camera folks on here have mentioned (should come up in a search) may be a cheaper fix.

Also have a 2014 and have never had an issue with it...from what I understand there were some updates, but not sure if just to the housing or to the camera as well. I hear that emblem is able to be removed without breaking the tabs. May be something you can upgrade to if fit on the tailgate is the same.