Backflip mx4 vs Dimondback SE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisMcP05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Mx4 as well. I like it, super sleek and flush and locks up with the tailgate. It keeps the water out during storms. I do however agree the quality isn’t the absolute best with the seals, especially with use over time - but I think if it truly starts to go you can always get a thin foam liner to stick on down the sides that can re-insulate and form a barrier when it’s folded down.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the HD as well. You can still take the cover off if you absolutely need to. its been a few years and i just took it off to pressure wash all the mud/dirt that got into my bed from the "puddles" I drove thru in WY a few weeks back. easy enough to do by myself. and like @osprey6 said, can just haul stuff on top if you need
Do you notice any sagging with the weight of the HD? Does the remote tailgate still work with it also? I think this is my bed cover for sure but maybe not the HD just the SE.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered the retractable bed cover from Ford for $1695. Does anyone know what brand bed cover this is?
Do you have a link or a pic? My MX4 is actually a Ford branded Bakflip. It even has a Ford logo on it, but it is a Bakflip. For $1695 yours must be something different, I think Ford gets around $1200 for their Bakflip.

TheCzar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you notice any sagging with the weight of the HD? Does the remote tailgate still work with it also? I think this is my bed cover for sure but maybe not the HD just the SE.
No sagging at all. I went HD for being able to mount my RTT/toys/accessories/etc but if you aren't going to do that then the SE should be fine.

The remote tailgate doesn't drop anymore, but it was something that was more of a "hey look what my truck can do" vs me actually using it

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No sagging at all. I went HD for being able to mount my RTT/toys/accessories/etc but if you aren't going to do that then the SE should be fine.

The remote tailgate doesn't drop anymore, but it was something that was more of a "hey look what my truck can do" vs me actually using it
I'm assuming that once the diamond back is in the open position or up, that the tailgate assist functions as normal. Its just not the remote aspect of it. I think I could live with that.

Last question, if you have ever seen surfboards hanging out of the tail gate? Can the diamond back be in a closed position, tied down so that longer boards can hang out of the back? I'll use Google image search for some help here. I know they make a rack system but the reviews for it on their own website are pretty poor. Maybe they have updated it? All of my boards should fit inside since they are short but when I have a buddy coming with me with a longer one, this would be the process. lb.JPG

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Diamond back all day. Have had one on my superduty for close to a decade, 0 complaints.

Raptor will be here in about 10 days, and if I decide on a bed cover it will be a diamond back.

Diamond back owes me a commission I have sold 15 or more over the years to people who see mine, and grasp the utility of it.

I have the HD version on my Superduty.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link or a pic? My MX4 is actually a Ford branded Bakflip. It even has a Ford logo on it, but it is a Bakflip. For $1695 yours must be something different, I think Ford gets around $1200 for their Bakflip.
No, I don't have anything more than its a retractable bed cover and its cost. That's all it says on the order form.

TheCzar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming that once the diamond back is in the open position or up, that the tailgate assist functions as normal. Its just not the remote aspect of it. I think I could live with that.

Last question, if you have ever seen surfboards hanging out of the tail gate? Can the diamond back be in a closed position, tied down so that longer boards can hang out of the back? I'll use Google image search for some help here. I know they make a rack system but the reviews for it on their own website are pretty poor. Maybe they have updated it? All of my boards should fit inside since they are short but when I have a buddy coming with me with a longer one, this would be the process.
If the rear section of the diamondback is open, then yes the remote release will work and the tailgate will drop. If the diamondback is closed, you can still manually open the tailgate and get into the bed...do this all the time.

I have a kayak have hauled it with it in the bed, tailgate down, and diamondback closed. Then the headache rack came in and I used a yakima long arm with some thule kayak mounts to haul it up on top of the headache rack (only one i have a pic of). Once the front runner load bars came in, I just have the kayak on them with the long arm

Attachments

• 2020-11-07 11.16.21.jpg
    2020-11-07 11.16.21.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 15

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the Diamondback SE and love it. I run it slick with the Crossbin 13 and that really nails the primary use case for me, especially if you throw an AMP side step on so you can reach everything in the bin. I'm also running a Bedslide, which gives me direct access to the rest of the bed with the rear cover either down or up.