Back window shattered, trust Safelite?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wkasak_17Raptor

Reaction score
I bought my truck used and the rear window was replaced previously by someone that was terrible at their job. It was not installed in the right location and leaked. I had it replaced with a new back window by a local auto glass replacement company that was incredible. I got their contact information from my local dealer service manager and came highly recommended from them. It was a bit more expensive but worth it. I would recommend calling your dealer to see if they have a recommendation beyond the chain companies.

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
My experience with Safelite was positive, I would not avoid them. What made my choice easier was that the glass replacement was included in my car insurance with 0 deductible and the insurance was working with Safelite so the entire process was painless. They replaced the windshield 2 years ago with OEM replacement, no leak issues and the Lane assist was calibrated properly. I agree that the job quality will depend on the Tech that shows up, but if you have complains about the job, they will take care of them with not too much fuss (just the normal stuff - you will have to show them the problem and they will fix it). The first windshield they installed, although it was OEM it had an internal defect that I discovered few weeks later... I called them, told them the issue, and couple days later they replaced the windshield under their warranty with no issues.

Last edited:

BB427

Reaction score
In addition to variables in the quality of the technicians, I would also be concerned over the source of your replacement window. If it's not OEM, then beware of aftermarket suppliers for your glass. Numerous variables in quality of materials and construction exist, and insurance companies love them only because they're cheaper.

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the factory windshield replaced by Ford when new under warranty due to defects in the glass. Ford actually outsources all their window work here at multiple dealerships. It comes down to how good the tech is that does the install. However with Safelite, that's all they do so you probably have a better success rate then having a general Ford service tech do it.

Edit: There is no weather stripping so I was worried they would scratch a brand new truck. It was fine, however the wiper sensor stared oozing liquid because they reused it. I made Ford order me a new one. There is way too much crap running on the windshields these days.

TexasAggie94

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used safelite here in Killeen Texas after the slider was broken in to. No issues or leaks and they said they only use OEM parts, also not allowed to just replaced the sliding window. Only complaint was a little bit of that sealer/caulk kind of bludged a little bit on one part but it’s cosmetic and I am ****. I would used them again.

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only complaint was a little bit of that sealer/caulk kind of bludged a little bit on one part but it’s cosmetic and I am ****. I would used them again.

Yep, it is unfortunately that society in general seem to lack pride in work these days, everyone is concerned to get in & out rather than do to the best of their abilities. I too had to do a little cleanup, luckily caught it before the glue was cured so I was able to melt it smooth.

2ndFord

Reaction score
Little kids tried to throw rocks into a creek... they had poor aim. Parents ( who are friends) are stepping up to take care of it. Safelite quoted me around $700 and just waiting on a dealer quote .

One other guy said, " I won't do those windows because of the electronics but do not go to Safelite".... so now he has me concerned. is there something so intricate about our rear windows that make this an extra tough installation?
Ouch, ouch, ouch. Sorry for your situation and predicament. But sounds like you have stand-up parental friends willing to compensate. I cannot offer an opinion on reputable glass replacement providers.

Apologies, I don't know if this is the particular spot to bring this up, but......

I'm not an A/C fan. I prefer to to drive with all windows and roof open when it's hot, and enjoy the blow-through breezy ventilation. I only use AC when I have intolerable personages aboard who can't deal with my flow-through air preferences. While making the decision to buy my ('18) Raptor I was searching for a truck manufacturer that offered entire fully-openable rear glass. Envision the Station Wagons from the '70's '80's with that rear tailgate window that entirely slid down and disappeared into the depth of the tailgate. There WAS one pickup manufacturer that offered that option, but I don't remember which (Toyota? Dodge?). All that rear cab wall space that does nothing... why can't we have a rear window that just slides down into that space, instead of this silly little sliding pocket square? Easy engineering. But there is no popular demand. Guess that's why I can't get what I want, being deep in the minority. But if there are others out there who wanted that perhaps we could at least get it as an option..... ?

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ouch, ouch, ouch. Sorry for your situation and predicament. But sounds like you have stand-up parental friends willing to compensate. I cannot offer an opinion on reputable glass replacement providers.

Apologies, I don't know if this is the particular spot to bring this up, but......

I'm not an A/C fan. I prefer to to drive with all windows and roof open when it's hot, and enjoy the blow-through breezy ventilation. I only use AC when I have intolerable personages aboard who can't deal with my flow-through air preferences. While making the decision to buy my ('18) Raptor I was searching for a truck manufacturer that offered entire fully-openable rear glass. Envision the Station Wagons from the '70's '80's with that rear tailgate window that entirely slid down and disappeared into the depth of the tailgate. There WAS one pickup manufacturer that offered that option, but I don't remember which (Toyota? Dodge?). All that rear cab wall space that does nothing... why can't we have a rear window that just slides down into that space, instead of this silly little sliding pocket square? Easy engineering. But there is no popular demand. Guess that's why I can't get what I want, being deep in the minority. But if there are others out there who wanted that perhaps we could at least get it as an option..... ?
Tundra’s rear window slides down. I kinda like that as well!