Back up lights. BD s2 vs Rigid ignite

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tcspase

Reaction score
So, I’ve been debating on which backup light set to get. I know both kits would work great for providing rear visibility. I am really looking for a diffused pattern to have scene lighting for camping. If I get the S2’s I would only run them on the uplifted switch because I don’t need to blind people at Walmart. Lol. If I get the rigids I will probably run a relay and so I can power them off the brake lights and the uplifters.

I’ve read almost every thread about the S2’s but no one has really mentioned much about the rigids. They seem to be almost the only flush mount option that will fit on a gen 2. Can anyone comment about the beam spread on the s2’s? Would it be a good option for scene lighting? Setting up tents? Stuff like that?

Price does play a factor. The s2’s are way more expensive than the rigid ignites. Are they worth the extra cost? I can get the rigids for $120 and the s2’s for about twice the cost. Feedback is appreciated.

I’m leaning towards the rigids right now. Their beam spread seems to be exactly what I want and I love the flush mount design. I’m just not sure they will be bright enough for scene lighting.

On a side note, I’ve purchased a ton of BD lights. I got the FRL fog light kit with BD squadron pros. 1 set of spots, 1 set of wides, and the KC flex fog light. The 30” s8 and the 10 OnX6 high power. When I finally get it all mounted on my truck when it delivers in April I will take it out to do some airial photos with my drone. It should give some really good perspective on patterns and distances with all these different lights. I’m pretty excited to get it all hooked up.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So, I’ve been debating on which backup light set to get. I know both kits would work great for providing rear visibility. I am really looking for a diffused pattern to have scene lighting for camping. If I get the S2’s I would only run them on the uplifted switch because I don’t need to blind people at Walmart. Lol. If I get the rigids I will probably run a relay and so I can power them off the brake lights and the uplifters.

I’ve read almost every thread about the S2’s but no one has really mentioned much about the rigids. They seem to be almost the only flush mount option that will fit on a gen 2. Can anyone comment about the beam spread on the s2’s? Would it be a good option for scene lighting? Setting up tents? Stuff like that?

Price does play a factor. The s2’s are way more expensive than the rigid ignites. Are they worth the extra cost? I can get the rigids for $120 and the s2’s for about twice the cost. Feedback is appreciated.

I’m leaning towards the rigids right now. Their beam spread seems to be exactly what I want and I love the flush mount design. I’m just not sure they will be bright enough for scene lighting.

On a side note, I’ve purchased a ton of BD lights. I got the FRL fog light kit with BD squadron pros. 1 set of spots, 1 set of wides, and the KC flex fog light. The 30” s8 and the 10 OnX6 high power. When I finally get it all mounted on my truck when it delivers in April I will take it out to do some airial photos with my drone. It should give some really good perspective on patterns and distances with all these different lights. I’m pretty excited to get it all hooked up.

Are you looking for a flush mount option or the S2 bolt-on option with the brackets included in the Baja Designs kit? We could do flush mount S2s (Sport or Pro) in the factory bumper if you're willing to make those cuts. Since you plan to wire it to the upfitter switch, you could just extend the wiring harness that comes with the lights and take it up to the front and connect it to one of your Aux switches.

As far as beam patterns, you have two to choose from with Baja Designs, you've got the Wide Cornering pattern which is a very flat pattern that projects at a distance or you can go with the Flood/Work option which is more of a scene light. Baja Designs normally recommends the Wide Cornering pattern for a reverse light, but for your intended use, the Flood/Work may be the best option.

Now, if you want to go with Rigid, you have more options than the Ignite, you could also go with the SR-M Flush Mount Reverse Kit seen here if you wanted a truly diffused pattern.

Here's what that looks like:
98001_0.jpg

I'd be happy to help get you setup with either option, and you can take advantage of our December Deal Days savings that ends today!

I'll send you a PM with some more info!

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have Rigid on my truck now and when I get some time I have a set of Squadron Pros to replace them with. The rigids just don't do much for me at all. Their "flood" pattern seems more like a spot to me, so it's not helping me. I have my own brand LED bulbs in my factory housings, which are BRIGHT, so i rarely use my bumper lights, but still... not happy with the Rigid.

As I said, I have a pair of the Squadron Pros sitting on a shelf ready to go in one of these days.

The raptors have a nice S2 kit that bolts on, while not as bright as a pair of Squadron Pros they bolt up using the included kit.

BUT if you don't mind running wires yourself, id highly recommend some Squadron Pros in Work/Scene... I have 3 on each side of my roof rack and holy hell are they bright.

OP
OP
T

Tcspase

Reaction score
I’d love to see that squadron pro setup. I thought about mounting a set of squadron pros under the bumper, but I’m not sure I would like the look. My ideal setup would be s2 pros with a diffused or flood pattern flush mounted into the bumper, but I have not seen that setup from anyone in the forum. I just think there is not enough room on the gen 2 bumper to make it work. I would buy the s2 flush mount option today if I knew for a fact that it would fit.

The S2’s don’t look bad under the bumper. I just think they would look a hell of a lot better flush mounted. I wish BD offered more options with their backup light kit for the raptor. A pro model would be awesome.

I’m still looking for suggestions I guess. If anyone has a picture of the S2 flush mounted on a gen 2 bumper I would be all in for that. If not, my mind still isn’t made up. Haha.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Why not do the Squadrons and flush mount 'em?

S2s are real popular I sell more of those then others for reverse lights.

2017-Raptor-RearS2-L2__43161.1490542255.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tcspase

Reaction score
If there was a good spot to flush mount the squadrons I would do that. Haha. I’m looking for a mostly stock look. Under bumper squadrons would look weird IMO. I might be running low on options. Maybe I will just get the S2’s, and finally quit trolling through this forum. Lol

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 AM ----------

Whichever setup i finally decide on...im probably going to get a set of rigid ignite flood lights that I can mount in the bed. All I need to do is run a 12v from the cigarette lighter and use the included GoPro mounts to position the lights wherever I want for setting up a camp. Just use a GoPro flexible tripod or suction cups and you hate 1000 lumens pointed exactly where you need it.

SpeedJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought S2s, but haven’t installed them yet. I’ll let you know what I think as soon as I get a chance to wire them up.

Ckhris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with rigid ignite, I wasnt looking for something to stand out, just to give more light backing up. These are much smaller than the baja ones so It was much easier to mount them tucked away and not sticking out where most people mount them
attachment.php

I have the diffused, you have choices on rigid light patterns

B3972A76-C87A-47F5-94E2-4E5989804D9D.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tcspase

Reaction score
that is a really clean setup. you mounted them just above the tow hooks? I'm assuming from the picture you did not buy a flush mount kit. I was looking for the diffused pattern with those. any comment on the light output? would it be good enough to light up a camping area behind the truck?