Back up Camera Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rmschaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would look for damage in the wiring harness from previous 4 wheeling. Common spot is drivers side by front door. Hangs low at that spot. Sounds like poor signal and the processor is having trouble with it. Explains the poor picture and blanking you are seeing.

dhanni848

Reaction score
Sounds good I will look at that spot hopefully tonight. I also noticed the other day that it reverses the picture too haha.

dhanni848

Reaction score
I would look for damage in the wiring harness from previous 4 wheeling. Common spot is drivers side by front door. Hangs low at that spot. Sounds like poor signal and the processor is having trouble with it. Explains the poor picture and blanking you are seeing.

I cannot find any wire damage and looked at basically all of it until it goes into the engine bay. Yesterday the camera went to solid black screen :(

rmschaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting you mention that the picture is reversed. As what should be left is right and vice versa. That is an indication the processor is not handling the signal correctly. In a purely analog system," think old CRT tube tv's" signals are processed from top to bottom left to right. A gun shots electrons at the screen in the above mentioned manner till a complete picture is scanned. With a composite system, analog to digital like in our trucks said analog signal is sent to a processor that then has to decide left to right or the other way around. This is typically done by a single bit in the signal telling the processor which side is which. If your processor is failing on you then you can get all the symptoms you describe. Not sure which processor handles the visual signal. I am sure Noah would know. Try to send him a PM. Noah is the expert in car audio/electronics. My expertise is more in automation and electronics. The two are similar but Noah has most likely seen your issue. He did the write ups stickies at the top of the part of the forum. Click on his name and you will get a pop up menu letting you pm him. Note He frequently works till late at night but has been great at responding when I had questions.

Last edited:

dhanni848

Reaction score
Interesting you mention that the picture is reversed. As what should be left is right and vice versa. That is an indication the processor is not handling the signal correctly. In a purely analog system," think old CRT tube tv's" signals are processed from top to bottom left to right. A gun shots electrons at the screen in the above mentioned manner till a complete picture is scanned. With a composite system, analog to digital like in our trucks said analog signal is sent to a processor that then has to decide left to right or the other way around. This is typically done by a single bit in the signal telling the processor which side is which. If your processor is failing on you then you can get all the symptoms you describe. Not sure which processor handles the visual signal. I am sure Noah would know. Try to send him a PM. Noah is the expert in car audio/electronics. My expertise is more in automation and electronics. The two are similar but Noah has most likely seen your issue. He did the write ups stickies at the top of the part of the forum. Click on his name and you will get a pop up menu letting you pm him. Note He frequently works till late at night but has been great at responding when I had questions.

I will do that. It has stayed black for the passed almost week, and I get a pop up saying "no signal from backup camera". Last year I replaced the camera and it worked until this. Going to check the wiring deeper and message Noah. Thank you

swjtlongdrive

Reaction score
I'm having the exact issue on my 2014 screw. Exactly as you described. Flipped image, then nothing for a few days. Then flipped image again. Did you ever find an answer. Stealership wants $850 for new camera. Ugh. Any help would be great.

dhanni848

Reaction score
I'm having the exact issue on my 2014 screw. Exactly as you described. Flipped image, then nothing for a few days. Then flipped image again. Did you ever find an answer. Stealership wants $850 for new camera. Ugh. Any help would be great.

Sorry haven't been on here in a bit, and have not had time to troubleshoot yet. It has to be something in the signal/wiring. Mine is completely done and does not ever see anything. Randomly 5 days ago it came on flashing and rotated, and never happened again.

#1 buy that camera somewhere else! They are about $200-250 on the internets and then buy a emblem.
#2 it is extremely easy to change yourself.

If you find anything out let me know. Maybe I will have time this week to take a look. Parking this beast without a camera is not easy, and forget about hooking up a trailer fast.

dhanni848

Reaction score
So ended up coming out of a store 2 weeks ago and my rear bumper was knocked in. Someone hit it and drove off. Truck is in the shop and having the camera looked at too. Let you know if they say anything that is worthy or if they just replace it.

mstennes

Reaction score
Backup camera went dyslexic, what the???

So now everything on my left is now on my right and vice versa. Sometimes it just quits working? The distance lines have also disappeared, what’s up?

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be wiring harness issue like crimp, short, grounded, or loose connector that goes through bottom of tail gate, may not be seated properly. Disconnect the rear video camera connector and check for corrosion, damaged pins, pushed-out pins, and reconnect.

If you have a code tool, any DTCs? Auto parts stores do free code scans.

Check your reversing lights are operative, since linked to rear camera system.

Could be camera switching module issue.