B&O Conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uncc0:

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Couldn't find an existing thread, but I currently have the Sony system and was curious if the B&O speakers were interchangeable. Not sure if anyone's tried this conversion or not. Also curious if anyone prefers to Sony over the B&O or vise versa. Thanks for any input.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Honestly, if you’re going to the trouble of taking off the panels and swapping hard parts, get some good aftermarket pieces and be done with it.

There’s a thread on doing it for under 500 bucks with lots of wisdom in it. You can definitely spend more, but $500-$600 will get you decent sound without breaking the bank.

OP
OP
uncc0:

uncc0:

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, if you’re going to the trouble of taking off the panels and swapping hard parts, get some good aftermarket pieces and be done with it.

There’s a thread on doing it for under 500 bucks with lots of wisdom in it. You can definitely spend more, but $500-$600 will get you decent sound without breaking the bank.

Appreciate that. I'll take a look and start sourcing parts. Thanks!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
both Sony and B&O use junk ford paper cones.
its fords restrictions they put in place to the audio manufacturers. the audio companies have to build and design products to fit the budget. doesnt matter what system you have, its going to suck. less so with european companies, they allocate a little more for the audio system, but regardless, theres so much available in the aftermarket world that would upgrade the sound

OP
OP
uncc0:

uncc0:

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its fords restrictions they put in place to the audio manufacturers. the audio companies have to build and design products to fit the budget. doesnt matter what system you have, its going to suck. less so with european companies, they allocate a little more for the audio system, but regardless, theres so much available in the aftermarket world that would upgrade the sound

Good to know and unfortunate to your point.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, pretty sure the under 500 thread has pictures of both if anyone’s bored enough to read through all the posts.

99.9% sure the primary drivers are the same, except one is stamped made in China and one Vietnam, I think. The Sony had a different center, and the driver in the B&O sub is different.That MIGHT be the only driver made by/with input from B&O, which is borderline fraudulent, given how the system is marketed. It should say "Tuned by B&O".

OP, the "Under $500" thread deals with the Sony upgrade. However, I would consider not putting 2-3 ways or other multidriver speakers in the front kickpanel. It just messes up the soundstage, IMO. I would go back with some high efficiency/low impedance components. You can stay with 6x9s (JBL and Infinity make some suitable), but you will have many more choices if you go back with 6.5s with an adapter. Have fun.

OP
OP
uncc0:

uncc0:

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99.9% sure the primary drivers are the same, except one is stamped made in China and one Vietnam, I think. The Sony had a different center, and the driver in the B&O sub is different.That MIGHT be the only driver made by/with input from B&O, which is borderline fraudulent, given how the system is marketed. It should say "Tuned by B&O".

OP, the "Under $500" thread deals with the Sony upgrade. However, I would consider not putting 2-3 ways or other multidriver speakers in the front kickpanel. It just messes up the soundstage, IMO. I would go back with some high efficiency/low impedance components. You can stay with 6x9s (JBL and Infinity make some suitable), but you will have many more choices if you go back with 6.5s with an adapter. Have fun.

Thanks and appreciate the input!

Reaction score
I have had both, don't waste your time. After having over $6000 in my F-250 for high quality sound, there is simply no comparison. All stock systems sound horrible IMHO, there is a wide range of solutions for both Sony and B&O interfaces. Once you get a taste of good clean sound, it's very hard to go back to anything stock.