GEN 2 B and O stereo great sound not loud enough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Basler

Reaction score
I am now planning to have the doors and rear of truck lined with deadening product. I’m also having Hertz speakers and JL 1100 watts to tweeters and front and rear door speakers with audio amps installed with a 1000 watt Subwoofer in back . My stereo expert keeps center speaker connected to OEM amp as it gets connected and is still used to control volume . What have others done to get a louder sound that still stays crisp and without distortion? I am only increasing power and changing or adding speakers to handle more power to be louder. The sound was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure who your stereo expert is but you should be DISCONNECTING that center speaker once you upgrade.

Also, not sure what integration module your stereo expert is utilizing but you CANNOT integrate into the b&o system without the NavTV Zen a2b can bus conversion interface. This is a hard stop. No other way around it. The fact that he says he is going to retain the center tells me that he is not utilizing the Zen a2b. It also tells me he is going to attempt to hack into your factory harness which is going to lead to thousands of dollars in damage. Again, you cannot interface into the b&o system without the zen a2b. The signal heading from your oem headunit is not a stereo analog signal. It is a canbus a2b digital signal that cannot be tapped into. It is literally a usb cord running to the b&o amp.

You need to find a new expert.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pretty much sums it up. just need to pick out which equipment you want. after the nav tv, a sound processor is ideal, but not necessary.

OP
OP
M

Mark Basler

Reaction score
Basically I’m asking what others have done. In regards to my shop I’m going to guess with the Raptor he is doing now. The 10 they have done from 2018,2019 thru today if there are no complaints and I was given references that they are doing right things. Also I just put up speakers and Amps names not exact Hertz 165 pro . In front and the center speaker will be left in because it’s driven by same system it is now so it’s back fill.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically I’m asking what others have done. In regards to my shop I’m going to guess with the Raptor he is doing now. The 10 they have done from 2018,2019 thru today if there are no complaints and I was given references that they are doing right things. Also I just put up speakers and Amps names not exact Hertz 165 pro . In front and the center speaker will be left in because it’s driven by same system it is now so it’s back fill.

Your speaker and amp choices are perfectly fine. That’s not the issue. It is how your shop is going to integrate into the B&O system that is the issue. If they are claiming they can retain the center channel and have it powered by the b&o amp then they are not utilizing the necessary integration module and are going to mutilate your factory harness and truck until they realize they have to repair the damage and start over with the NavTV zen a2b. I cannot stress this enough, you cannot properly integrate into the b&o system without the NavTV zen a2b. The zen a2b completely removes and replaces the b&o amp and converts the digital a2b signal into an analog signal. This signal can then be sent to your amps. Because the b&o amp is completely removed, the center channel will no longer have any signal being sent to it. The only way you can re-integrate a center is by utilizing an aftermarket dsp that supports center channel processing.

If your truck didn’t have B&O, you could simply utilize the for-11ck harness and be done. But you do have b&o and that is a completely different story.

Read my post history, I am not trying to blow smoke and I have absolutely nothing to gain from telling you this information other than I would hope someone else would do me the same courtesy. I’ve tuned well over 150 f150’s with and without b&o. I am not giving my opinion, I am stating fact and trying to help you not make a detrimental mistake. Lots of shops out there say they know what they are doing. Only about 5% actually know how to do it correctly.

Last edited:

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yep..lose the center speaker. totally not needed.

If your shop is not using The ZEN A2B device ($450) as part of your build, run away. You can't use high level input. @dhmcfadin is 100% correct and he, and I and others have tried many times to educate people on this board.

The B&O systems uses the factory "sony" amp and hardware and applies a DSP to it. The problem is, as the volume is turned up, the B&O DSP removes bass to try and protect the speakers. So no matter how much power or how big of speakers you throw at it, the B&O amp and DSP are why the systems sounds great at low volume, but also what it sounds so bad when you turn it up. you HAVE to remove it.

to adress the volume concerns....that was my main gaol as well. Replacing the factory amp and speakers in the doors and A pillar + 2 sub woofers 10s or 12's is more then enough.

I can cruise 85mph with the windows down and roof open and hear and feel my music.

Also, dont focus on "wattage" of what ever speakers you are buying. it is the most mis understoof measurement on speakers that doesnt mean what most people think it means. Just make sure you have 4x75-125 watt amp for your doors and pillars, and 400-600 watts for your 2 subs and you will be fine.

my build is a no frills build that gives a great bang for your buck without breaking the bank. Assuming you can do it all yourself. If you cant, add about $1,000 or so labor.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/it-is-done-started-my-b-o-replacement-stereo-install.68874/

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mark Basler

Reaction score
I appreciate it. I want to make sure I’m hearing this correct. When I look at the buy list. It needs A to B from Zen $450 then the speakers I already know are Hertz, amps JL two Amps, and a subwoofer that is built to go under rear seat. Is it correct that the Stock amp for B and O is going to remain working?