Awful sounds coming from my brand new Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try checking n2 pressure in your shocks. not sure which one should be in gen3 but gen2 was 200-240 depending on who you ask. but I'm sure if you see it's below 150 - that's your noise from cavitation. have to be checked at full droop!

I wouldn't suggest checking the nitrogen level on the 3.1's. It could be cavitation, extension limit(s), the new proprietary PTFE 5w oil or a combination of these with a design flaw.

Huggy Bear

Reaction score
My Gen 3 had same clunking sound and after multiple trips to dealer and their "best mechanic" they (and ford) said they couldn't fix it and it was just part of the new suspension. After 7000 miles, they gave me 100% of my money back and gave me 7% off a new 22 King Ranch. I had a Gen 2 for 3 years and loved it. Can't believe Ford would make such a piece of junk and not even try to fix it. I am a huge Ford guy and it makes me sick that they would take this truck and F it up. They did.

Try standing on the back bumper and bounce up and down. it will clunk everytime it changes elevation as well.

And most likely, yours has the exhaust pipes coming out the back that arent even.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Gen 3 had same clunking sound and after multiple trips to dealer and their "best mechanic" they (and ford) said they couldn't fix it and it was just part of the new suspension. After 7000 miles, they gave me 100% of my money back and gave me 7% off a new 22 King Ranch. I had a Gen 2 for 3 years and loved it. Can't believe Ford would make such a piece of junk and not even try to fix it. I am a huge Ford guy and it makes me sick that they would take this truck and F it up. They did.

Try standing on the back bumper and bounce up and down. it will clunk everytime it changes elevation as well.

And most likely, yours has the exhaust pipes coming out the back that arent even.
Are you gonna give the Gen 3 another shot? Probably could come out ahead on this.

Huggy Bear

Reaction score
when the auto industry craziness ends, i will for sure look at another raptor. The entire truck felt like the worst assembly workers that were pissed off on a friday quickly put my truck together. so many little things wrong with it that was just sloppy work. I found countless zip tie ends, loose panels, hanging wires, you name it, it was just a bad build. it was just a bad build by the assembly workers and probably even the parts manufacturers. some of the strings here say it is the FOX shocks. might be true, but they say those parts are years out. not sure how that is when the plant is shutdown for days/weeks at a time waiting for microchips. you would think they would have ample parts sitting around to fix the problem.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
when the auto industry craziness ends, i will for sure look at another raptor. The entire truck felt like the worst assembly workers that were pissed off on a friday quickly put my truck together. so many little things wrong with it that was just sloppy work. I found countless zip tie ends, loose panels, hanging wires, you name it, it was just a bad build. it was just a bad build by the assembly workers and probably even the parts manufacturers. some of the strings here say it is the FOX shocks. might be true, but they say those parts are years out. not sure how that is when the plant is shutdown for days/weeks at a time waiting for microchips. you would think they would have ample parts sitting around to fix the problem.
There's lots of people wanting to get a weekly paycheck, there just isn't a lot who want to EARN the money anymore. This is society and it's full of crybaby's and the like, I would like to say the reason that this has happened, but I would be banned from the internet for life and from any business/government entity where one of these crybaby sap-sucking "persons" is employed. So, here we are with the worst production quality control ever seen in this century.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn your build sounds horrible--i havent noticed any quality issues besides the shocks and the paint quality on the wheel well fairings with mine (mine was an early build that sat in detroit lots from october to feb). i dont know if the backlog on shocks is as bad as you let on given that other members here have had theirs swapped out with varying success.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
I can't blame you. I passed on my 21 because of countless posts like yours. Ordered a '22, if it's crap I'll pass and order a '23 F250 when's order banks open (since 23 will be redesign).

bruin1md

Reaction score
This sucks so badly............for you to wait this long, only to get a truck that feels so cheap/poorly built. I was told by the dealership that almost everything is automated on the builds of these trucks, in which case much of human error should be taken out of the equation. It scares me a bit that my build is near the end of the week in March when I hear stories like this, but there is nothing I can do other than hope for a quality build.

ihoffland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The age old suspension noise thread. Coilovers make a ton of noise, bypass RR shocks make noise. Literally on the brochure from ford performance Fox shocks are stated to make noise.

Go read some g1/g2 threads. Ford had to make statements talking about how much noise the shocks make.

Everyone wants a race truck without the drawbacks of a race truck.
“iTs aN eIgHtY tHoUsAnd dOlLaR tRuCk” yeah and trophy trucks are 300k, they make even more noise.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damned, I feel really lucky about now. I probably got close to the last 21 Raptor built but "knock on wood" so far....no gremlins. The only item on the "things to check on new gen3's list" that was a hit for me sort of (no problem noted) was the recall on the heat shield.