Awful sounds coming from my brand new Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V8 Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone, I picked up my new Gen 3 Raptor a couple weeks ago and have fallen in love with it. However, there are a few things that seem to be wrong. Not sure if anyone else is having these problems but every little bump I drive over the bottom of the truck sounds like it’s going to fall apart. Sounds like everything is loose underneath. My rear left shock is making a bad thumping sound every time you compress it in the slightest. Those are the main issues with it. Please let me know if anyone else is experiencing these issues with their Gen 3. Thanks!
Welcome to the club. Mine drove me so crazy that after 10,000 miles, I traded it in.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told when I experienced clunking on small frost heaves is that it's the Hydraulic actuation on the OFF ROAD SHOCKS. My Gen1 has done it for over 176,000 miles even after Shock rebuild. Nothing is wrong just noisy off road suspension. Also have changed lower ball joints over the yrs

2022 Ruth

Reaction score
I was told when I experienced clunking on small frost heaves is that it's the Hydraulic actuation on the OFF ROAD SHOCKS. My Gen1 has done it for over 176,000 miles even after Shock rebuild. Nothing is wrong just noisy off road suspension. Also have changed lower ball joints over the yrs

The clicking is absolutely normal. What people are feeling in the GEN3s, feels a bit different. My GEN1 andn GEN2 had a clicking noise/sensation. This new issue feels like the entire suspension has nuts/bolts that are only hand tightened :)

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gen3 is smooth as silk and no funny noises what so ever. It makes nice great growl when I even breath on the gas pedal. It drives over nasties on dirt roads and potholes while I remain comfortable because it just eats it up. You should get your dealer to check. This is by a huge margin the smoothest riding F150 I have ever owned and I have six of them at the moment from '91 to '21.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone, I picked up my new Gen 3 Raptor a couple weeks ago and have fallen in love with it. However, there are a few things that seem to be wrong. Not sure if anyone else is having these problems but every little bump I drive over the bottom of the truck sounds like it’s going to fall apart. Sounds like everything is loose underneath. My rear left shock is making a bad thumping sound every time you compress it in the slightest. Those are the main issues with it. Please let me know if anyone else is experiencing these issues with their Gen 3. Thanks!
If it's that bad, it should be easy to fix. At least to the point where it's only noise from the shocks. Tell you what, send it to me and I'll fix it. To make sure the repair is robust, I'll put a few miles on it after. Say 50k. Then I'll give it back and you'll be good to go.

As an aside, what did the dealer say? Complaining to us gets you nothing. Complaining to Ford will get you fixed. Your choice.

Mars911red

Reaction score
My gen 3 2021 is quiet and I can go over speed bumps with minimal slowing and no noise. It has a great ride over every surface so far and I have 1,500 miles on it

BalorGrayJax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm bringing mine to the dealer. I don't really think it's acceptable at this point and won't take a "normal operation" response from them.