GEN 2 AWE 0FG - Who still has it installed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kirby Lastinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Corsa Extreme. It was obnoxious and had too much drone at highway speeds for my taste. Put the stock resonator back on and really like it now.

Stroked out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had 1fg installed since Thanksgiving . Recently I detuned my truck for a dealer visit and really like the sound better now. So much so that I left the tune off for 3 weeks now.

OP
OP
H

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a tune changes the sound too? I guess that makes sense if you consider it may change the RPM's the vehicle operates at.

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if a tune makes it any louder but after installing the Cobb Tuning COA, my 0FG AWE seemed to get even louder (not exactly what I wanted)!

Rob O

Reaction score
I removed mine last week. It (0FG) was on the truck approx 3500 miles, of which 2200 were from a single 2-week road trip from Portland, OR to Orange County (south of). The system sounds great in many situations, and is particularly good for people hearing it *outside* the truck. However, there are two main instances where it is just too intrusive for my liking:

1) Low speed conditions with the engine under load. For example, 30mph in gears 8-10 on a hill. It's super loud in the cabin; not drone ... just very pronounced. It's hard to have a conversation. And since I live in a hilly area, where this type of driving is a daily occurrence, it was annoying.

2) Freeway cruising speeds over 74 mph. There's a sweet spot with this exhaust between 1500 and 1900 RPMs ... anything lower, it sounds like what I describe above, and anything higher (at steady pace) is just too loud. Again, it isn't drone, it's just loud. At 75mp my truck creeps to 2000 RPM, and meant I had to stay below 75 or endure the loudness ... for 1100 miles each way. I have several road trips like that this year, and there was no way I was going to deal with that noise.

Note also, I added Vibrant Resonators at about 1200 miles ... well after the break-in period. They helped around town driving, settling it quite a bit without totally squelching the sounds that are good. But they couldn't contain the noise at freeway speeds.

After going back to stock, the drive home (including freeway) was like I'd gone from a noisy, old school rig to a Lexus ... it was so much quieter. Ford has done an outstanding job with the factory exhaust tuning and noise control, without killing the sound. There's just no making the Ecoboost 3.5TT sound "better", so it might as well be comfortably quiet.

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed mine last week. It (0FG) was on the truck approx 3500 miles, of which 2200 were from a single 2-week road trip from Portland, OR to Orange County (south of). The system sounds great in many situations, and is particularly good for people hearing it *outside* the truck. However, there are two main instances where it is just too intrusive for my liking:

1) Low speed conditions with the engine under load. For example, 30mph in gears 8-10 on a hill. It's super loud in the cabin; not drone ... just very pronounced. It's hard to have a conversation. And since I live in a hilly area, where this type of driving is a daily occurrence, it was annoying.

2) Freeway cruising speeds over 74 mph. There's a sweet spot with this exhaust between 1500 and 1900 RPMs ... anything lower, it sounds like what I describe above, and anything higher (at steady pace) is just too loud. Again, it isn't drone, it's just loud. At 75mp my truck creeps to 2000 RPM, and meant I had to stay below 75 or endure the loudness ... for 1100 miles each way. I have several road trips like that this year, and there was no way I was going to deal with that noise.

Note also, I added Vibrant Resonators at about 1200 miles ... well after the break-in period. They helped around town driving, settling it quite a bit without totally squelching the sounds that are good. But they couldn't contain the noise at freeway speeds.

After going back to stock, the drive home (including freeway) was like I'd gone from a noisy, old school rig to a Lexus ... it was so much quieter. Ford has done an outstanding job with the factory exhaust tuning and noise control, without killing the sound. There's just no making the Ecoboost 3.5TT sound "better", so it might as well be comfortably quiet.

^^ Great info from a broken in system and plenty of test miles.

Any more info on the Vibrant Resonators? Want to sell them..LOL.

The low speed conditions under load, city driving and around 2700 rpm's are NOT good IMO also.
After one short week, the negatives I've personally experienced are going to make me change up something...

BushwiickBill

Reaction score
Oh man,...I’m about to install a 1fg,...I’ll be sure to keep my stocker. Just in case

Always a good practice to keep the stock exhaust. I have the 1FG installed and couldn't be happier with it. It's all personal preference but I think AWE has produced an excellent exhaust suite for Gen 2. This is coming from a person who has never owned a V6, car or truck ever.

Stratia69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed the 1FG setup last week. I will first say that the videos posted on the AWE website sound intriguing. However, my install occurred simultaneously with Cobb's FMIC, CAI, Tune, SPD Turbo adapters and SPD Down pipes. So I cannot give true feedback on JUST the AWE exhaust. That being said, this thing is obnoxiously LOUD. I've only driven about 200 miles and impatiently waiting a break-in reprieve! I can attest to everything that Rob O said above. One thing for sure, the front end items won't come off, but this exhaust is living on borrowed time!