Auxiliary Switches - stop-start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bearcat

Reaction score
Guys - I'm new to the forum. I totalled my 2014 a couple of months ago and now have a 2017.

I have wired my radar detector to Aux #6 (much easier after reading about other's adventures with finding the wires behind the kick-panel on this forum). My question centers on the stop-start function and that my radar detector re-starts everytime the truck re-starts (note, it stays on when the engine shuts off, but restarts when the engine re-starts). This seems very odd as I cannot imagine auxiliary lighting flashing off-on every time the the truck re-starts. Are there any words of wisdom other than re-wiring to something else on the fuse block?

dgilm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I currently have my radar detector wired to #6 also and don't have this issue.
A few questions:
- What radar detector are you using?
- Are you using an aftermarket wiring harness for the radar detector? Does it have a voltage module?
- Are you using the passthrough wires? It sounds like you are, but I just want to make sure.

OP
OP
Bearcat

Bearcat

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
1. It's a Cobra detector
2. I am using an aftermarket 10' wire that has an inline box.....not sure if it's a voltage module.
3. I am using the pass through wires.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this will help, but Valentine One makes a little lot for this. It said that sometimes the voltage will change causing it to turn on and off. Check it out on the Valentine One web page

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

OP
OP
Bearcat

Bearcat

Reaction score
Waveslayer - thanks for this. I will look into their "Brown-out-Booster". it sounds like it may solve the issue.

OP
OP
Bearcat

Bearcat

Reaction score
I talked with Cobra / ******'s tech center. They advised to buy a 32V - 12V voltage stabilizer. if you Google IBVSTABL you can find several of them (also on eBay and Amazon). Just don't get a voltage controller - make sure it is a stabilizer (they look the same). During "stop-start", the voltage drops below 10V, causing the issue.