Aux switches affect radio signal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluu

Reaction score
I noticed this morning that when I turned on my AUX2 switch, which triggers my XL80 A-pillar lights, that the radio station that I was listening to turned to pure static noise! Has anyone else experienced this?

Full disclosure, I was in a part of town where there is sometimes some very light static on this particular station, but not enough to be annoying. When I switched to a radio station that is near by, it did not have any affect on that station.

So at face value, it appears that the power wires for the XL80's, which do go near the antenna base, have some impact on the radio signal which is more significant and noticeable if the signal is weaker to begin with.... anyone else have this issue?

OP
OP
Bluu

Bluu

Reaction score
The aftermarket power wires are inducing electromagnetic interference (EMI), which is degrading the radio signal. Very common with aftermarket components and circuits. The solution it to reroute the harness or install a harness shield around the circuits to block the EMI.
So essentially its the same as when you install an amplifier and run the power along one side of the vehicle and the RCA's on the opposite.

I'm just curious if its the routing of the factory aux wires that is causing the issue, or if its the routing of the XL80 power that is causing it. If i'm the only one having this issue, then it's probably my XL80 power wire routing....

Burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue, with my lights that are hooked up to the AUX switches. I don't have an amplifier.

How do I install a "harness shield" as suggested?

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven’t noticed on this truck but my Chevy would do this when I turned on my ditch lights. I always figured it was the proximity of the ditch lights to the antenna. Only ever noticed it with the ditch lights.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the same issue, with my lights that are hooked up to the AUX switches. I don't have an amplifier.

How do I install a "harness shield" as suggested?
tin foil wrapped around the aux wiring would be a great RF sheild..

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had that issue on my Gen2. Light bar was installed by the shop that does it for the Raptor Assault trucks in Utah. It only affected AM stations but was still annoying. I have LP4 A pillar lights on my Gen3 and they have no affect on the radio at all.