GEN 1 Aux 4 for Powering DRL + Grill Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr_Chooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m getting ready to do a projector retrofit on my 2012 SCREW. I’ll be adding dedicated amber perimeter halos and rings.
It seems like tapping a fuse in the engine bay seems to be a dead end or just a general bad idea.
So I will run it off of my unused Aux 4.
So the question is should I still be able to use Aux 4 to power these new LED’ as well as tap it into the green and yellow BCM wire. In order to have the grill lights come on with ignition also.
Also I’m quite inexperienced with automotive wiring, but want to get better. I can just tap that BCM wire with a standard wire tap near the BCM pin connection right? I don’t need to try and pin both brown and green/yellow in the same spot right? I’m sure that was a dumb question but should give you an idea of who you are dealing with here.
And just so THAT GUY knows I’m aware “Just Forscan” I’m one of a few dozen out here who doesn’t own a PC.
I manage with a phone and a 13 yo MacBook Pro.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m getting ready to do a projector retrofit on my 2012 SCREW. I’ll be adding dedicated amber perimeter halos and rings.
It seems like tapping a fuse in the engine bay seems to be a dead end or just a general bad idea.
So I will run it off of my unused Aux 4.
So the question is should I still be able to use Aux 4 to power these new LED’ as well as tap it into the green and yellow BCM wire. In order to have the grill lights come on with ignition also.
Also I’m quite inexperienced with automotive wiring, but want to get better. I can just tap that BCM wire with a standard wire tap near the BCM pin connection right? I don’t need to try and pin both brown and green/yellow in the same spot right? I’m sure that was a dumb question but should give you an idea of who you are dealing with here.
And just so THAT GUY knows I’m aware “Just Forscan” I’m one of a few dozen out here who doesn’t own a PC.
I manage with a phone and a 13 yo MacBook Pro.
this will help with your wiring connections. https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/this-installers-take-on-connections.80970/
as far as the wire to use, if you want them on all the time your lights are on, then use the parking light wire. if you want them on all the time, use an ignition wire. to have them on with the lights, and to turn them on by an aux switch will require a relay and a couple diodes.

OP
OP
Dr_Chooch

Dr_Chooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That guide is legit Noah!
I want them on when the truck is on.
I think after digging around more I’ll wire them to the parking lights.
In addition I was going to tap aux 4 into the parking light wire at the BCM, so that all the parking lights plus the new halos will be switch operated.
Does that sound reasonable or like a bunch of shorts and blown fuses?
Edit:
That switch + automatic setup sounds legit but not exactly what I was thinking. You do have my poor mind spinning on that wiring diagram.

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That guide is legit Noah!
I want them on when the truck is on.
I think after digging around more I’ll wire them to the parking lights.
In addition I was going to tap aux 4 into the parking light wire at the BCM, so that all the parking lights plus the new halos will be switch operated.
Does that sound reasonable or like a bunch of shorts and blown fuses?
Edit:
That switch + automatic setup sounds legit but not exactly what I was thinking. You do have my poor mind spinning on that wiring diagram.
yes, you can run an aux to power the parking lights and the halo lights, but im not sure if aux 4 is strong enough currentwise. you may need to wire in a relay, but those are simple and quick

OP
OP
Dr_Chooch

Dr_Chooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yea based on your recommendations in other threads no matter what I tap from the truck will only be the “switch/trigger” I’ve got some waterproof 30/40 A relays that I plan to make something of a harness off of to power all four LED drives. Figured this also gives me the chance to power some backlights on pods in the future.
Based on your linked thread I’m going to solder and use Deutsch connectors.
I’ve seen you help so many people in our community. I’m grateful to be among them.
BTW I’m already so deep into current projects on this truck. I decided to pickup a cheap PC I can run Forscan on that way I can tap the parking lamps for my relay setup. After I set them to be used as DRL.
I appreciate all your input thus far. I’m going to do my best to go through your old posts if I get other issues to keep you from answering the same questions again.

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yea based on your recommendations in other threads no matter what I tap from the truck will only be the “switch/trigger” I’ve got some waterproof 30/40 A relays that I plan to make something of a harness off of to power all four LED drives. Figured this also gives me the chance to power some backlights on pods in the future.
Based on your linked thread I’m going to solder and use Deutsch connectors.
I’ve seen you help so many people in our community. I’m grateful to be among them.
BTW I’m already so deep into current projects on this truck. I decided to pickup a cheap PC I can run Forscan on that way I can tap the parking lamps for my relay setup. After I set them to be used as DRL.
I appreciate all your input thus far. I’m going to do my best to go through your old posts if I get other issues to keep you from answering the same questions again.
you got my number. im always available to help anytime. i have responded to texts at 3am before...... dont worry about repeat questions, its hard to search on the forum so i know its easier to send me a text.