Automatic Tailgate lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MTF

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow OK thanks for posting,
I'll change my first post, to more than a few owners have tied into drivers side with newer models.

russm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks MTF and everyone on this thread. Made the install on my truck super easy :)
Hooked it to the wiring on the passenger side per these instructions so the tailgate unlocks on the second push of the key fob.
Works perfectly and I am a happy camper.

Russ Out

Last edited:

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tried this today. The hardware was easy to install. Removed the stripper pole but i did not have to remove the tailgate step or install extra washers. Went right in. The wiring though stumped me. Tried the passenger side and chose what looked like the correct wires, but no joy. :(

Another trip to the audio shop...

OP
OP
MTF

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The washer is only needed if key lock is hard to turn.

On a Screw there are more of the same color wire.

I cant help to much in class today but go over the first post again.

I look again here later this evening.

Last edited:

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh my goodness yes, there were several wires of the same color, especially grey with brown stripe. Can I use any of them, or is it a specific one?

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, bit the bullet and bought a multimeter. Three YouTube videos later I'm (almost) a master car electrician (not). But yes, it's a specific cable. Of the three grey with brown stripe, only one tickles the multimeter when I lock with the fob. And of the two purple with grey stripe, only one tickles the multimeter when I unlock twice with the fob (I have two stage locks).

Soooo, let's give this another shot...

OP
OP
MTF

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok I'm home now, How are you making out?

And I'm sorry I couldn't respond too your 2nd to last question, the teacher just got done yelling at someone for looking at his phone.

Did you read all the color combos for single lock and unlock and the double press wires for unlock all doors, also the hint for the Screw wires, in the first post?

Last edited:

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes. But it was my friend Mr. Multimeter who saved the day. ;) Once that thing showed which wires were hot when hitting the key fob, the rest was cake. I'm done! And it works! And I have a new multimeter in my toolbox for my next electrical mod.

Thanks for the posts and pictures. They helped a lot. It's great to follow someone else's lead on these things.

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed it last weekend. I used a multi-meter to verify the correct wires behind the fuse panel, just forgot at first that it was set to two-stage unlock, had to hit the unlock button twice to verify. I ordered the Pop & Lock from Amazon and it did not contain the shorter wire for inside the tailgate, so I had to get a replacement unit.

Also, they changed the wiring, it is no longer two wires inside the corrugated plastic loom, it came with a cable containing the two wires. I decided to add some of the plastic loom where it goes through the tailgate jam and also into and out of the frame.

On the 2014 Supercrew, the grey/brown stripe wire connects to the green and the violet/grey stripe connects to the blue.