GEN 2 auto stop start causing amps to cut out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’ve been enjoying my newish stereo, amps, speakers and annoying neighbors since

Replaced the Sony amp, finally

One of the benefits to having a full replacement of the factory amp is that when the truck automatically shuts off in normal mode when you’re stopped, the engine shuts off to allegedly safe fuel. When Lucille restarts, from the auto stop/start I lose sound for 1-2 seconds while the truck restarts.

I didn’t really notice it at first while I wasn’t turning up the volume as much - still tinkering with settings. But once I got everything stable, gains set, etc. I’ve been more free with the added volume.

I am only noticing this when the truck is starting from the auto-stop/start.

I’m running JL 500w x 1 sub amp pushing a 10” JL sub, 4x75w sound ordnance amp pushing the 4 door speakers. fronts are Morel components, with tweets in the pillars. Amps both have power from the battery, 4x amp has 8 gauge and the sub amp gets 4 gauge power and ground from the battery. Ground for the 4x amp goes to a close chassis ground. I used this before with my 8” kicker sub and 300w kenwood amp, but that had the Sony Amp still hooked up, so auto stop/start killed the signal to the sub. I’m suspecting since both amps are cutting out for a short period of time, I’m stressing the system when the truck starts.

I did some searching and came up with one hit:
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/foru...3-auto-start-stop-cutting-off-amp-second.html

Aside from disabling the auto stop/start, would a capacitor help for this?
Other suggestions?

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Voltage drop. The amp is probably seeing less than it’s min required, 12 volts ish, and shutting down or reducing output to protect itself.

I don’t think a capacitor would help since the start would pull voltage down on that as well. It might help if it’s fully charged but as soon as you’re off the alternator your system is going to start draining the cap and when the start sequence starts( get it) now you have the capacitor pulling a load as well as the starter.

CAPS really don’t do anything but stress your alternator more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What are you using for a turn on?

The JL amp I am using, I have the auto sense turned on. Since the ZEN A2B keeps sending signal during start stop events, the amp never shuts off. No need to worry about a voltage drop.

If you are actually using a turn on lead, check the voltage on that. Should have nothing to do with your main battery power, it is turn on related.

OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Reaction score
that’s a good point. I’ll try to check the amp turn on signal this weekend and see if that’s going out or if the amps are just not getting enough juice.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
highly doubt it is the latter....if you battery voltage is dropping so far to turn off electronics, no way there is enough power to crank the motor.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where is your amp turn on connected? in the passenger kick panel there is a black 52 pin plug that have 2 14ga wires that are grey/blue. they both generate from the same pin. these are rap wires so it stays on until the truck is off and the door opened.

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck drops to 10.5 volts on start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Reaction score
where is your amp turn on connected? in the passenger kick panel there is a black 52 pin plug that have 2 14ga wires that are grey/blue. they both generate from the same pin. these are rap wires so it stays on until the truck is off and the door opened.

from the DSR1 I used to replace the Sony. Their harness has a turn on wire I’m using to signal both amps.

OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Reaction score
highly doubt it is the latter....if you battery voltage is dropping so far to turn off electronics, no way there is enough power to crank the motor.

I’ve got 2 words for you.

Re. Jected.

I confess, I was a little surprised as your explanation makes sense, but it’s not the cause in this case.

I ran a simple voltage tester on the signal circuit from the DSR1 tonight and confirmed, I never lose signal, but, when the starter engages, voltage drops significantly.

So it appears to not be loss of signal. It appears to be voltage drop.

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let’s here it....

Rob, you were right....Sorry for dismissing your explanation.

Ahhhh thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk