GEN 2 Auto Start/Stop glitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NHnewbie

Reaction score
I have been interested in disabling AS/S 0n my 2018 SCrew, and did some extensive searching/reading here on FRF about alternatives for doing this. The easiest of three methods I found was unplugging the small trailer related connector under the dash as described elsewhere here. This did, in fact, disable AS/S. However, the next day, I noticed that the transmission gear indicator in the tach gage was not functioning. IOW, not illuminated and showing the gear the trans is in. Wondering if this is related to unplugging the connector? I did plug the connector back in and AS/S works as expected, but still no trans gear indication. Panel lights work otherwise and dim/brighten as expected. Also wondering if some unrelated change I made in switch settings etc may account for this? Any guidance on troubleshooting? Any kind of reset that might clear the problem? Thanks for any suggestions.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
are you sure you didn’t inadvertently hit the +/- button on the shift lever OR one of the shift paddles on the steering wheel?

hit the up shift paddle and if that’s the case the display will come back.
this is a known bug, unrelated to auto stop/start.

OP
OP
N

NHnewbie

Reaction score

:party36: :party36: :party36:

You da man! Faster than a speeding bullet with your response! Yes, this worked. I notice when I press the + button on the shifter, the gear display toggles on and off. May have saved me a trip to the dealer. Thanks!

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you sure you didn’t inadvertently hit the +/- button on the shift lever OR one of the shift paddles on the steering wheel?

this is a known bug, unrelated to auto stop/start.

Are we sure this is a bug?

In my mind it works the way it is supposed to. In auto it defaults to no gear numbers shown, just like many transmisisons / vehicles. But tap the Up in Drive and all ten gears are displayed, with the current gear in Orange (and that is my default setting). Don't want the display? Tap the up again.

The other neat thing, in Drive tap the down paddle. The top numebr disapears, leaving just 1 to 9. It now acts like a 9 speed. Tap down again, now only 1 to 8 are shown, and it acts like an 8 speed, etc.

T!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Are we sure this is a bug?

In my mind it works the way it is supposed to. In auto it defaults to no gear numbers shown, just like many transmisisons / vehicles. But tap the Up in Drive and all ten gears are displayed, with the current gear in Orange (and that is my default setting). Don't want the display? Tap the up again.

The other neat thing, in Drive tap the down paddle. The top numebr disapears, leaving just 1 to 9. It now acts like a 9 speed. Tap down again, now only 1 to 8 are shown, and it acts like an 8 speed, etc.

T!

I don’t think this means what you think it means... :biggrin:

In both the R/A trucks and 802A trucks, in “Auto” / normal mode, the gears 1-10 are displayed on the dash, by default. Unless you fat thumb the shifter handle and accidentally toggle up or down, in which case the gear display disappears.

That deselection you’re describing is called gear lock out. This is how the paddles work with the transmission in drive.

The gear display changes when you select manual mode on the shifter - it’s one position to the rear of drive. In this mode, you have to upshift by button or paddle, and you should downshift as well for proper thrust when you need it but the truck will downshift for you if you’re going too slow like slowing for a light.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been interested in disabling AS/S 0n my 2018 SCrew, and did some extensive searching/reading here on FRF about alternatives for doing this. The easiest of three methods I found was unplugging the small trailer related connector under the dash as described elsewhere here. This did, in fact, disable AS/S. However, the next day, I noticed that the transmission gear indicator in the tach gage was not functioning. IOW, not illuminated and showing the gear the trans is in. Wondering if this is related to unplugging the connector? I did plug the connector back in and AS/S works as expected, but still no trans gear indication. Panel lights work otherwise and dim/brighten as expected. Also wondering if some unrelated change I made in switch settings etc may account for this? Any guidance on troubleshooting? Any kind of reset that might clear the problem? Thanks for any suggestions.

Here's what I did to resolve it...$6, and removed/reversed in seconds any time you want:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f261/auto-start-stop-permanantly-disable-youtube-51978/index12.html#post1218014

SlickMachine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious: why are you guys disabling auto S/S?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it act like it’s in tow haul mode?

No. You can still shift into it and back out. All the other modes seem to work as before.

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

I'm just curious: why are you guys disabling auto S/S?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

For me, and I think most folks, because it's too aggressive/annoying in day-to-day driving. It's done as a way to game the fuel economy tests, but, in reality, it just seems to cut the truck off right as you come to a stop, often times when you really don't need it to. In most stop-and-go traffic, or even at simple neighborhood stop signs, it will cut the truck off, and you have to re-start it to go. Also, if you have to sit in traffic for long periods of time, the truck accessories, namely A/C, will cut off to conserve battery. In the summer in South Carolina, that ain't gonna cut it. I also can't believe that constantly cutting off/re-starting the truck is beneficial long term from a wear and tear standpoint.

Last edited:

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think this means what you think it means... :biggrin:

Inconceivable!

In both the R/A trucks and 802A trucks, in “Auto” / normal mode, the gears 1-10 are displayed on the dash, by default. Unless you fat thumb the shifter handle and accidentally toggle up or down, in which case the gear display disappears.

OK. I assumed that it defaulted to no gear numbers shown because when I first got in my 802A Raptor (as far as I know never driven, other than on and off the transporter) it had no gear numbers shown until I hit the up lever, then 1-10 showed up. And then when I got a new 2018 F150 XLT (350 miles on it when assigned to me, so lots of people had messed with it) at work it was the same way, no gear numbers showing until I hit the Up button.

But I suppose in both cases it is entirely possible someone else had hit the up button / paddle before I got in the vehicle. I could read the manual, but what is the fun of that?

Regardless, hit the up button or paddle and the numbers disappear, and stay that way until you hit Up (or Down) again. The vehicle starts in the same condition as you last left it.

That deselection you’re describing is called gear lock out. This is how the paddles work with the transmission in drive.

The gear display changes when you select manual mode on the shifter - it’s one position to the rear of drive. In this mode, you have to upshift by button or paddle, and you should downshift as well for proper thrust when you need it but the truck will downshift for you if you’re going too slow like slowing for a light.

Yes, in Auto it (down paddle or button) deselects gears, from the top down. So in Drive / Auto if I hit the down paddle twice it “shuts off” gears 9 and 10, resulting in only 1-8 being available for the system to use. I thought that was what I described. But hey, English is a second language for me, my first being Hick.

T!

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

No. You can still shift into it and back out. All the other modes seem to work as before.

Do the backup and cross traffic sensors still work?

T!