Audison Stereo upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

venraptav

Reaction score
Thanks @melvimbe. That's where I'm struggling as well on the subs. I've heard people swear two 8"s are all you need, one 10", two 10"s, a 12", a 13.5". etc. I know it's all personal preference.. Not knowing that for sure is also preventing me from knowing exactly what I need out of an amp/s.

I hadn't thought about that too much regarding the Audison equipment. I'm fortunate that there are 3 reputable shops within 15-20 minutes of me that sell and install Audison.

I appreciate your feedback. This seems to be exponentially harder to figure out and decide on vs other types of upgrades. This is much more abstract to define what better is..

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks @melvimbe. That's where I'm struggling as well on the subs. I've heard people swear two 8"s are all you need, one 10", two 10"s, a 12", a 13.5". etc. I know it's all personal preference.. Not knowing that for sure is also preventing me from knowing exactly what I need out of an amp/s.

If your music taste has a lot of bass in it, then I would go with 2 10s or 12s. If not, then you'll be fine with a single 12". It's not going to blow you away, but you will hear bass when you need to. But that's just my opinion. Others will disagree, and the amp you used doesn't really play that big of a factor (as long as it's enough amps for your choice)

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most of our setups run 2 10" subwoofers. we have never had any complaints of not enough bass with 2 10s, but its all dependent on how much bass we are talking here. i would make the recommendation of going with a sealed box though. in the cab of the vehicle it will be a better more accurate bass response compared to ported, and you wont have port noise.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
most of our setups run 2 10" subwoofers. we have never had any complaints of not enough bass with 2 10s, but its all dependent on how much bass we are talking here. i would make the recommendation of going with a sealed box though. in the cab of the vehicle it will be a better more accurate bass response compared to ported, and you wont have port noise.

With the audison amp, you'll have one channel of 250W IIRC for sub. My single sub is port to maximize what I get for those watts. I can't say that I hear port noise.

All that said, I would take @The Car Stereo Company recommendation over my own any day.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the audison amp, you'll have one channel of 250W IIRC for sub. My single sub is port to maximize what I get for those watts. I can't say that I hear port noise.

All that said, I would take @The Car Stereo Company recommendation over my own any day.
glad you dont hear port noise. its probably mostly due to the amount of power you are using and where the port is pointing some subwoofer boxes, the port noise is insane.

unfotunately the downfall of those amps is the power. as with all dsp/amplifiers, doesnt matter the brand. however most people are happy with it. but the part lacking is the sub side of things because of the amount of power the driver requires. volume output is another thing, if you want loud, you will want to go with a dedicated dsp and seperate amplifiers. a more expensive way to go, but gives you the dynamic headroom you need. if you arent a loud listener, you will be fine with a dsp/amp

Cobraman044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the JL VX1000_5i with Focals and a single 10TW3. Made my own cabinet that fits behind the seat. I have been VERY impressed with this system. I do play fairly loud once in a while and have plenty of bass for me. Just my 2 cents..

venraptav

Reaction score
I installed the JL VX1000_5i with Focals and a single 10TW3. Made my own cabinet that fits behind the seat. I have been VERY impressed with this system. I do play fairly loud once in a while and have plenty of bass for me. Just my 2 cents..

How did you interface into the stock system? Did you have the Sony or B&O?