Audio upgrades, Beyond the DIY under 500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evan9r

Reaction score
So it has a harness that plugs into the DSR1 coming from the radio and a harness that plugs into both the input and output side of the amplifier? Pictures or a diagram would be great.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it has a harness that plugs into the DSR1 coming from the radio and a harness that plugs into both the input and output side of the amplifier? Pictures or a diagram would be great.

Nothing to do with the factory headunit.

The DSR1 removes and replaces the factory amp behind the rear seat. You will need the F02 harness pack for your truck in conjunction with the DSR1.

The FO2 harness includes the factory connectors for power, can-bus communication, and output to the factory speaker harness. See attached photos.

a4b44565801a2eb4fa0bcfac7a63fa35.jpgc7bc87abfe2619c642991cb918a3e3ac.jpg5e88fb9e951b473ebe548d4a98bf9450.jpg

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Forgive my lack of knowledge on this but to spell it out...

We can unplug the stock amp and woofer on and 802 and replace them with this, 7 channels of amplification run to replacement speakers in the stock locations and a separate amp and sub? No other bits required for full system functionality otherwise?

How can NavTV sell their gizmo for $850 if the DSR1 does the same thing for $250?

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the DSR1, you will will run the output rcas into external amps for your door speakers and sub. You must replace the factory amp with an external amp for both door speakers, tweeters, and sub or you will have no sound.

The DSR1 and NavTV are completely different components. Both eliminate the factory amp but are for different systems. DSR1 is for Sony trucks. NAVTV is for b&o.

They communicate differently. DSR1 uses can-bus which has been around for years and is somewhat of an analog signal. It’s easier to interpret. NAVTV uses a2b communication protocol. On trucks with b&o, instead of a harness running from the headunit to the factory amp, a usb is run between the two. This signal is completely digital and requires a much greater level of processing which is why there is a price difference. NavTV builds interface modules for Bentley, rolls Royce, Mercedes, etc. they build a much higher quality unit vs Rockford.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your amp rack would look something like this with the DSR1. This is a previous build I did. 4 channel amp with crossovers for the mids and highs, sub amp for the sub. Keep in mind that you won’t be using all the speakers in the DSR1 harness. Some of the those channels simply don’t exist in our trucks.

a45d1b0efe52588f8eb6320bea35d0f6.jpg

evan9r

Reaction score
Got it now, Thanks! So what Amp is suggested? 7 channel? 5 channel? a 4 channel and mono?

evan9r

Reaction score
So your output from the amp front channels went to the crossover and the crossover split the mids and highs for the front correct?

Not having much luck with the DSR1. Updated/Flashed all firmware etc. Got it wired up and bluetooth does not stay connected so I cant even tune it. Back up alarms and other sounds are muted/different. Static out of right front speaker. Sub barely works. Almost ready to try something else or go back to my original set up.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your output from the amp front channels went to the crossover and the crossover split the mids and highs for the front correct?

Not having much luck with the DSR1. Updated/Flashed all firmware etc. Got it wired up and bluetooth does not stay connected so I cant even tune it. Back up alarms and other sounds are muted/different. Static out of right front speaker. Sub barely works. Almost ready to try something else or go back to my original set up.

Have you called Rockford yet? Have you updated both the Rockford side of the device and then updated the idatalink side? If so, call them and speak to their customer support. They are very responsive.

Since you aren’t able to tune it, of course it’s not going to sound right. Show me your wiring setup. Also show me a screen shot of your output configuration in the perfect tune app.

Last edited:

evan9r

Reaction score
Finally got it to connect by flashing to Universal then back to vehicle specific.

My current configuration is sub in stock enclosure, 6.5 mid bass in rear doors, 6x9 threeway in front doors, and tweeters. Currently I do not have the tweeters wired in to my amp since its a 5 channel amp.

What output configuration should I use on the app?