Audio upgrades, Beyond the DIY under 500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The subject says it all.

I’m in the process of doing some more upgrades. Another member on here is simultaneously doing his truck and we’ve been bouncing ideas and he’s been a huge help. He has a lot more experience with next level audio than me.

So here is where I’m going with things.

An under seat down fire sub enclosure with two 12 inch shallow mount woofers.

Two JL amps. One 8 channel (75W RMS) and one 750 watt HD mono amp. I’ll be supplying the woofers with 375 Watts a piece. I’ll be pulling an 1/0 gauge copper wire with a distribution block and two 4AWG to each amp.

I’ll be using an idatalink maestro DSR1 with Fosgate DSP that the other member sold to me, Gently used, to eliminate the Sony amp and provide level preamps. I’ll also be using an amp rack that he custom made that’ll bolt in place of the old stock woofer and stock amp.

For now I’ll be retaining the pioneer TS series speakers from the original DIY under 500. I’ll see how it comes together with tuning. I may end up replacing them with component speakers at a later time. I have not entirely committed to the brand of woofers yet, but they will not be JL. They will be In the 300-400 a piece range.

The additional upgrades I believe I can complete for just shy of $2500.00.

That means the total price will be around $3,000.00 for a 1400 watt aftermarket sound system that I would describe as a low/medium range build with considerably more sound than stock.

Some of the requirements of this build include aesthetically pleasing results. I’ll be using high end copper power wires, nice clean mounting, soldered lugs... the sub enclosure will be secured to the truck to withstand a hard stop or a collision, but will also be easily removable. The downfire enclosure has to be sturdy enough to be able to fold the seats up and toss groceries or whatever else I want on top of it without worrying about structural integrity. It has to look professionally installed when it’s finished and it will.

I’ll update you all on the final build.

ChrisJTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely post pics, im curious to see how it comes out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

gijosh28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
subscribed

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

With any luck my stereo will be getting installed this week also.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going that far, Guy, you should bag the Pioneers, IMO, and get some quality components. Why are you going with two 12"? Are you trying to levitate the truck?

#dassalottabass

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pioneer will be last but yes I tend to agree it probably needs equal quality components.

I’m thinking that when I’m done the build... and I pull the pioneer.... I’ll send the lot of them on here to a DIYer under 500 hopeful for a donation to charity.

Part of the reason for dual 12s comes down to aesthetics. I wanted a matched under bench box that looks factory as if it belongs there. If I’m using the entire length of the bench, the volume is conducive to two subs.

So why not 10s? I’m old and I like smooth jazz, big band, Sinatra... I want low listening volume to reverberate with deep, chest vibrating smooth low tones.

If you're going that far, Guy, you should bag the Pioneers, IMO, and get some quality components. Why are you going with two 12"? Are you trying to levitate the truck?

#dassalottabass

wreedsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics?

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Where is the SONY amp located in these trucks?

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn’t do anything yet.

Just in the final planning stages.

Pics?

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Where is the SONY amp located in these trucks?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So you’ll be taking up all the room under the rear seat, correct?

I’m following, but I’m not willing to give up that room - that’s set aside for my belt-fed :biggrin:

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am consuming the space under the rear bench, but I’m not eliminating the ability to flip the seats up and stow on top of the box.

The subs are going to be downfired and if I have my way, the sub box will hold enough weight to not worry about throwing gear on top of it.

I’m also going for easy removal in a pinch.

Stay tuned!

So you’ll be taking up all the room under the rear seat, correct?

I’m following, but I’m not willing to give up that room - that’s set aside for my belt-fed :biggrin:

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pioneer will be last but yes I tend to agree it probably needs equal quality components.

I’m thinking that when I’m done the build... and I pull the pioneer.... I’ll send the lot of them on here to a DIYer under 500 hopeful for a donation to charity.

Part of the reason for dual 12s comes down to aesthetics. I wanted a matched under bench box that looks factory as if it belongs there. If I’m using the entire length of the bench, the volume is conducive to two subs.

So why not 10s? I’m old and I like smooth jazz, big band, Sinatra... I want low listening volume to reverberate with deep, chest vibrating smooth low tones.

Hey, man...this is (still) America...you get what you want, and more power to you. I think you'd be surprised what a smaller/single enclosure with a quality sub/amp could do for your desired outcome, though, especially if you want to be able to remove it easily. But, again, you do you. One thing I know is you ain't afraid to change something if you don't like it!