GEN 2 Audio upgrade in 2017 SCREW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just to give a quick update, I'm attempting to put this on hold for awhile. Pretty clear that my thoughts are over the place and they need to settle down. I got wifi done last weekend and have the PX6 order, hopefully arriving soon. I'll do that first and then go from there.

Even though it's on hold, I'm still thinking about it a lot. Hard not to when I'm reminded of the flaws in the stock radio every time I get in the truck.

These are some of the thoughts I'm having right now.
- I think the sub(s) need to go behind the seat rather than under. The dog got a few trips in the back last weekend, and it seemed pretty clear that he greatly appreciates the extra space back there. In my previous vehicle, he would rarely sit or lay down, constantly move around as if he didn't feel very stable, even on long trips. Not at all in the truck. So I'm feeling this is a priority for me.
- MTI is pretty much the benchmark for behind the seat sub pricing. Whatever I decide, no need to pay more than what they offer.
- I'm feeling that if I go with a 250W option for a single sub, then I shouldn't go as high end in the front. I'm struggling with this as I really liked the Focal KX2 when I heard them in the shop. I really should go with 2 subs (probably 10") at around 500W if I don't want to part with the KX2s.
- The back seat speakers really aren't that important. I should cut costs there.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
One of our guys here on FRF has a 13” sub behind the seat. I’m really happy with the single 10” MTI. Talk to them about what your goals are, and ask for some guidance.

2x 10” behind the seat or 2x any sub behind the seat is going to take up the whole area behind the seat, so the jack has to be relocated and you’ll need a home for your amps. I like the single behind the seat for this and I’ve got a large dog too.

Good luck!

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i took me 4 months of deciding before i finally bit the bullet and pulled the trigger.

i still listen to mostly talk radio, but 1 or 2 times a week, when i need to blow off steam. AC/DC "Hells Bells" at max volume with all the windows and roof open @ 80mph just puts a smile on my face. Can't do that with a stock system.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One of our guys here on FRF has a 13” sub behind the seat. I’m really happy with the single 10” MTI. Talk to them about what your goals are, and ask for some guidance.

2x 10” behind the seat or 2x any sub behind the seat is going to take up the whole area behind the seat, so the jack has to be relocated and you’ll need a home for your amps. I like the single behind the seat for this and I’ve got a large dog too.

Good luck!

I figure the jack will have to move no matter what. If I go with a single sub, it will be on passenger side with amp(s)/dsp on the driver's side. Jack in the storage bin under the seat. If I go with 2 subs, then amp(s)/dsp will likley need to go under the rear seat (protected from dog?) where the bins are now, and the jack has to go...in the bed? I am thinking I'm going to get some sort of bed storage either way, since I already have a few things stored under the seat. There's a 'swing case' available at American Trucks that I kind of like. Not sure it would hold the jack though.

But anyway, a single sub is clearly easier to deal with as far as space is concerned. Also better from an amp requirement standpoint. But if I am not happy with a single sub, switching to double means I'd have to move amps/dsp around as well. So perhaps it makes sense to not go conservative.

i took me 4 months of deciding before i finally bit the bullet and pulled the trigger.

i still listen to mostly talk radio, but 1 or 2 times a week, when i need to blow off steam. AC/DC "Hells Bells" at max volume with all the windows and roof open @ 80mph just puts a smile on my face. Can't do that with a stock system.

Thanks for this. Makes me feel a lot better about being indecisive.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I went back to the shop last night. Gave a listen to a few from components. Namely Audison (as @mrdoenutz uses above), Focal KX2, and Focal Performance. I'd rank them as KX2, Audison, then Perforance. We also talked about getting the lower powered Audison amp ($750) + mono amp instead of the Audison Forza ($1500). Shop guy stated that he's done it before, but it works out best when you use Audison speakers,, full package. That'll be around $3k installed. And I was thinking that was the way to go. I also like that the Audison amp won't take up space under the passenger seat.

Then he offered me a package deal.
Audison F8.9 ($1500)
Focal Utopia 165WXP ($1500-$2k)
Focal RCX-165 -rears ($120)
JL 12TW3D4 sub ($300)
Sub box under seat
4 Guage
T-harness and AR as needed

$4000 installed.

A part of me says I should just go with the Audison package. Save some money and the smaller amp. A part of me says I should take the deal and avoid any regrets. A part of me says I should take the deal, but replace the sub with a behind the seat sub and 10 inch.

To reiterate on sub space, I do want room for the dog to lie down in the back. An under seat sub can be removed whenever I want to do that, just not sure that makes practical sense. Not sure the dog is going to go on many long trips either.

I think I know what I'm going to do, just letting it settle in a bit.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
almost anything you do will be an improvement.

if the sub is holding you back, ask if he can delete the sub; pick up your own behind the seat model. I need the cargo room too, so under the seat subs are a no-go for me.

I’ve got the MTI behind the seat / 10” JL sub and amp and it’s got clean, crisp bass that will vibrate the mirrors. ... Of the cars next to me at stop lights. :)

That’s probably not a bad price all in, considering how much time I’ve spent back and forth, it would have probably been easier for me to just contract out the install.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will just say....in 3 months, I have not missed the floor space under the rear seat at all.

if you use it once in a while.....you wont miss it at all....you will adapt. Still plenty of room for a dog if there is a box under the seat.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The dog has to go to the vet tomorrow anyway, so maybe I'll drive him with the seat up and see how he handles it. I might be over thinking it. I could also looking at getting one of those blocks that gives you a flat surface at seat height. And yea, I can discuss a 10" behind the seat option again.