GEN 2 Audio upgrade in 2017 SCREW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Find a local audio shop you trust. build a relationship with them. I listened to 4 sets of components back to back before i decided on what i bought.

I've only been to the one shop for about 10 minutes, and I don't know if I trust them yet. I trust they'll do quality work, but I don't quite trust them to quote me exactly what I need. I don't fully blame for the bad quote just yet as I think I rushed them on it and perhaps sent a confusing message as to what I want. I also think a good portion of their customers will happily overspend, so they don't know what type of customer I am just yet.

ericburney

Desert is the best medicine
Reaction score
Crutchfield knows......I bought a non-sony 801A and wanted more out the audio...I searched around and found this....best upgrade for the money and time to install....This system used to over $900....now $399...it was designed specifically for the F150.....BTW, the two speakers in the plastic sub enclosure face down toward the carpet......check it out Gents https://www.crutchfield.com/p_990JBLF150/JBL-Concert-Edition-Premium-Audio-Upgrade.html

g990JBLF150-o_front.jpg

g990JBLF150-o_JBL_Concert.jpg

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
true...but within reason.

Find a local audio shop you trust. build a relationship with them. I listened to 4 sets of components back to back before i decided on what i bought.

I bought most of my stuff from that shop.....they gave m help where i needed to demo things. would have been a d!ck move to waste their time, then buy everything on line from the lowest bidder.
welcome to the world of car audio. happens all the time.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I went back to my shop tonight. Spent about an hour talking and listening to a couple speakers. Feeling much better and got a new quote.

audio retention - $100
t harness - $60
Audison Forza 8 channel amp - $1500
Focal 165 K2 6.5 Components - $1300
Focal 6.5 Coax - $399
8 in Kenwood sub woofer
4 Gauge OFC- $119

Amp Install - $140
Rear speaker install - $85
Audio retention install - $85

Front speaker install - $0
Front door sound mat and install - $0

Total w/tax $4286. He said he would be able to knock off about an additional $300 or so more.

He was highly recommending Audison over the DSR1+ amp as the Audison DSP was much better and I would avoid additional wiring.

I really like the focal K2s when I listened to them. The free install on the front doors was bonus for that and he let me know that they were going on sale for $999 in a month or so. I checked Crutchfield and see it's already $999 there. I may ditch the soundmat and pay $999 + labor, not sure yet.

On the rears, I might go for the next tier down of Focals.

I did hear the sub and was happy with it. I liked it better then the Kenwood 10". I want to give it a try and switch it out later if I'm not happy.

I also brought up my intention to install the PX6 after the audio upgrade. He said they could install it for me if I wished, but I don't think I need that, but I could bring it back for returning afterwards. That would be a good time to switch out the sub if I'm not happy.

I'm still feeling good about it, but it needs to sink in a little more. Listening to several different speakers helped a lot.

Blown00gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the kx2s for the front I am getting the flax in the rears for my build. Think you will enjoy those. My opinion the sub will not be enough with just 1 8” however I’m sure someone else can chime in. I went with 2 10”. Subs make a big difference in the sound experience.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
did they explain why the 8 channel amp? 5 channels is what you need. but they may be able to get there with bridging.

get dual 10's. quality speakers like that and all that power will dwarf your bottom end. a single 8 or 10 won't cut it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Your shop sounds like they have a preference for what they install. There’s nothing wrong with that, but, it leads to confirmation bias. I think in this case you’re getting overkill on the amp for a higher cost and little if any return on investment. The DSR1 for example can be bought with I think $60 worth of harnesses that make it 100% plug and play with the factory harness. All you have to worry about are the amps.

It’s also a question of if you’re comfortable with their estimate, and their work. I think if I were you I’d get at least a competing estimate for what you want, if for no other reason than to validate your choice. Worst case, you invalidate your current choices and go with something that sounds better.

good luck!

Blown00gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also for $1300 make sure they are the ES165KX2 and not just K2. The kx2 you can get for $1300 as the k2s go for $999

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I appreciate the comments guys.

@Blown00gt I definitely got to make sure I'm getting the right speaker. I want the one I was listening to, whether it was k2 or kx2...at the right price.

@GoBlue00 We did talk about the 8 channels briefly, and there is some bridging going on. I did ask if there were 'lesser' audison amps I could use and got a negative response. However, I'm compelled to do some more research on this. For one thing, the Audison website has a kit specifically for the F-150 where the use their AP8.9 amp, not APF8.9, which I think is a bit cheaper. I need to know the difference.

On the sub, I get what your saying. I did like the sound of the sub in shop, but that's not the same as in the truck. I only heard one other single 10 in and the 8 was a better. I should compare against dual 10s. Even if I go with the single 8, I should make sure I can do that with my amp fairly easily. I also have to consider space. I don't want to lose the whole space under the back seat, and not sure I want to mess with behind the seat.

@smurfslayer I do feel some sense of loyalty to the shop, but visiting another shop isn't going to hurt. At the very least, I need to do more research.

I'm sure they have some preference of using Audison over DSR1 for profit reasons, or perhaps because it's an easier install for them...or they run into fewer issues.

I want to apologize if it comes across like I'm not listening to anyone's advice. I am, it's just that I'm hearing different advice from difference sources, while knowing that what I like and what I think is worth the cost could legitimately be different.